New Aluminium Radiator

Hi All, today I changed over my original radiator. At some stage in its life it had a re-core but recently developed a split between the tank and the core and I decided it was time for a change. I bought the new unit on eBay for AUD$ 235 including delivery. I was quite surprised at the quality - real “row of nickels” welding! This variety is marketed under many brand names and seems to be available everywhere’. Link below:

I note that: some subtle adjustment to the fan shroud is necessary and the upper fixing bolt holes need opening out.
The filler neck is much smaller and effective diameter is 22mm - cf 32mm in the original copper radiator. Cap is 1.1bar or 16psi. At 22mm diameter it lifts at 12 pounds force. My car was running a 7psi (32mm) lifts at 11.1 pounds force - so near enough. Pictures below:

Paul

Nicely made, and a really good price!!

Yeah, and must be from China!

And just for my future info, is the Mark II radiator the same as an S Type? And being aluminum I guess less muscle needed to heft it in and out than the old copper one.

I expect it weighs between 2 and 3 kilos. It seems less than 1/3 the weight of the old copper one. Not sure if it’s the same as an S type but I will measure the old one so you can check against your car. I drove 140 miles on the weekend, apart from temp not rising above 80degs in traffic it dropped back to 70degs much more rapidly than the old copper one would have managed. Paul.

Nice body colour.Is it Sherwood green?
I have no problem with sensible, modern mods. Did you fit a header tank?
I have that wiith an alu rad in a 150. Problem might be the necessary higher installation(thantheradś top).
Peder

Yes, it’s Sherwood Green. Haven’t fitted a header tank yet, maybe in the future - not much convenient room in a Mk2! Paul

Hi John, the old one is 760mm from the bottom of the lower mounting point to the top of the tank and 440mm from side to side (exlcluding mountings). Paul

Thanks, Paul. I measured the side to side dimension on my S Type and it seems to be the same as your Mark II radiator. Measuring the top to bottom dimension is near impossible with the unit in place but I assume it would be the same. as yours.

that is where they come from, and a word of caution,

I am on anther forum that commonly replace the stock rad with these Chinese Al rads, (available on Oz Ebay) and there are MANY reports of weld failure after ~12months, it seems to be what actual factory they came from, as others are satisfied

Oh well, as I bought it I thought it might be an each way bet. If nothing else I have a pattern to make an Australian made clone. Definitely worth a shot for $236.00! Paul

1 Like

agreed…I cant see why if it is a weld fail, cant TIG the hole

possibly would not get as much vibration as a hard used Jeep Cherokee either, as I mentioned some are happy with their Alloy rads…there is a plethora of choice for that model various Alloy 200-300, Brass at ~350-750. OEM plastic or brass (expensive). I chose the $105 aftermarket plastic, should be good for 10+ years

I also live In Australia, Sydney to be specific so it’s hot and lots of traffic. I have just purchased a S-Type3.8 1966 and as the temp or the thought of over heating worries me i was thinking of installing an aluminium radiator line yours. It will obviously be cleaner internally than the old radiator in the car. My question is did you or have you thought of using an electric fan?

Hi John and welcome! My Mk2 still runs the standard engine driven fan and the new rad Al rad is now two years old without fault. I try not to drive old cars in traffic in Sydney summers - so I can’t really say whether or not it would overheat. If I really have to drive an old one in the heat and traffic it would be the good lady wife’s 1972 XJ6. Big radiator and a modern clutch fan, the car never overheats. Paul.

I have a bigger aluminum radiator in my car and only an electric fan, no mechanical fan, and the car never overheats either. I like in southern CA where it gets quite hot and traffic as well.

When I lived in northern California, with lots of traffic I ran my 3.8S with the stock radiator and an electric cooling fan and did not have overheating issues. Here in cooler, less traffic Oregon the cooling fan runs less often.

Yesterday I got a new upper rubber hose from RockAuto USA.
These are cheap theses days, got two of these for $20 total with fast FedEx shipping to Poland.

https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1392634&m=wc&l=en&html=true