New eyes for my 1967 2+2 Series 1.2

So, do you think these will easily adapt? i alway wanted covered Cat eyes. My '67 just missed the cut.

There are retrofit kits that would allow you to have covered headlights installed that will look just like the Series 1 bonnet. These lights appear to require the wings be cut away to fit them in - which may not be possible with the wheel well clearance needed and would be more costly ( due to loss of resale value) vs installing a kit based on original Etype parts. This is my opinion and of course this is your car, so “if it makes you happy - it cant be that bad” (sic cheryl crowe)

Just use some Lowe’s angle brackets, some self-drilling screws, a bit of spare wire, and Boom.

Done!

:nerd_face:

I would first check to be sure the beam pattern is an upgrade. My wife has a Suzuki, and the beam pattern is okay on low beam, but the high beam is worse than terrible. Both of my E-types are SII. The original lamps had a pattern that was ‘so-so’, but when I went to Hella “Eurobeam” lamps, with LED bulbs, it transformed things dramatically. As mentioned, it is your car and like all of us, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I would not be dissuaded by what people say about the stock SI or SII lights, with a bit of effort they are very very adequate.

My personal opinion is that that would be a hideous modification to an elegant design. Your 1967 car is easily converted to covered headlights as all the sheet-metal is the same. It’s the series 2 cars that are more challenging. Even if the aesthetics Don’t turn you away from this possibility, I think the drop in value of your car after having perform such a modification should be sobering enough.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your replies, some funny, some serious…especially Mr. Wiggles, ever so sage advice LOL.
It just so happens, I have an '08 XK-R Portfolio cvt. I had these assemblies on the shelf as spares. A Mate in Australia, was asking about them, so I laid them out on me E-Type for a pic. They kinda to position on their own??? So, after the “photo” session, I thought, what would me Jag-Lovers mates think if I posed the question…? and Now, you know the rest of the story.
“Be Well, Think Well, Stay Well”

I got the joke: others? Not so much… :laughing:

What, you didn’t like my Airplane reference???
“Surely (Shirley) you must be joking…”

1 Like

You can tell me. I’m a doctor.

Those lights are fine, but I think we can all agree that there are better options.

truckster

Careful, Doug, if Bob asks you to turn your head, and cough…:nerd_face:

1 Like

Take a look at New Beetle lamps. Closer starting point. Very similar lens although the body might be too long

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/headlights-and-lighting/headlights-components-and-accessories/headlight/automotive-lighting/aullpg801

Well, I can tell you one thing, those “Beatle lamps” are approx. $2K cheaper! LOL

All of youse guys have been indoors way too long, including moi!Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.47.40 AM

1 Like

Kassaq, Which LED bulbs do you like? Thx, tom

In My wife’s SX4, and our daughter’s 2003 Toyota Highlander, I found that the Hikari “adjustable” bulbs were by far the best. They allowed me to ‘adjust’ the beam to the best pattern. In the E-types I went with “Beam Tech” brand LED bulbs. In my Jaguar X-types, I was not able to find an LED bulb that would focus the beam well in the regular, low beam BUT the “Beam Tech” bulb in the High beams worked wonders.