New head puller success

I finally got around to producing my new head puller.
Two heads off in an hour, hopefully that will continue on the other engines l have to do.

4 Likes

Hi,
I used the same design with similar results, its a nice simple design.
The only comment I would make is to use high tensile threaded rod to avoid any problems.
I got my plates second hand, how did you make yours up, there was a scale drawing floating around.
Cheers

I did use high tensile rod and because of the captive nut design was also able to use grade 8 nuts which are easily changed out if the thread ever flogs out.
I did find a few scraps of info online but there was some question regarding the accuracy of the measurements so I started from scratch. I have a laser cutter nearby who did the CAD files and the cutting. I was surprised at the low cost, $130.00 for plates enough for 2 complete pullers. Nuts and rod add about $30.00 more for each.
I do have CAD files available if you ever need another.

Here’s a pic of mine in action, I think it is a lot thinner than yours but still did the job.

Hello and Happy New Year,
Any chance that you could provide me with a copy of the CAD drawings?
Thanks,
Chris

Baxter, could you please send the drawing(s)? Any special software needed? Will get a local machine shop to fab.

Thanks in advance…

Jim D

jim.d@roadrunner.com

PM your email address Chris and l will send CAD files
I can’t upload that file type on forum.

Sure and thanks for supplying.
chrisgruchawka@atmc.com

@Craig_Balzer, you might consider getting this fabbed up: I have contacts, if you do not.

Baxtor - Looks like a great design. I like the nut pockets so that the female threads can be a consumable item.

I may ask you for a copy of the CAD files, too.

This is an absolute shot in the dark, but is anyone that has made up a head puller in the central Virginia area? I have to remove 2 cylinder heads and it seems a little silly to have a head puller fabricated for an hour worth of work. Renting a puller would be great, if only…

All the best, guys!
-Drew

Coul I get a copy of that CAD file too? williamoeseburg999@gmail.com

Just what I need for next project. Would it be possible to use the puller with the engine in the car ? Also would like a computer of the cad file if possible.

Baxtor,
I would love to get a copy of that CAD drawing please.
I have a friend who has a a good shop and could make multiple copies as required if necessary. No idea of the cost but it would only be passed on at “mates rates”
P.M me please. Coventry U.k.

Not a problem, you may use them as you please. I do need an email address though since l am not able to send these attachments via private messages. Or you can drop me an email at (sh.davis@aussiebroadband.com.au)
Cheers

Here you go.

(Attachment STEVE DAVIS 2-2.dxf is missing)

(Attachment STEVE DAVIS 1-2.dxf is missing)

I’ve no idea what’s gone wrong but it has not come with an attachment…

I will need your private non forum email address Peter.
The cad files are not an authorised file type for forum attachments. I tied it on off chance it would go but bounced back to me.
Cheers
Steve

Have used a similar design from a guy in UK, he will sell cad drawings trying to fund a XJ 13 project. The pressure that is applied is enormous, a bit worried about warping but the head that did come off in the end was totally unusable, not from the puller.Since heard about a method from RR that uses a cutter that has the inside diameter of the stud, usually the two inside rows that are in water,and a thin wall so as not to cut too much aluminium and hand operated to clear the crud. One engine builder said he made his from s steel pipe, thin walled, and hand cut some teeth on the end worked well and maybe safer and cheaper.Cheers Richard

1 Like

Please send drawing to me as well:
craigbalzer14735@gmail.com
TIA

1 Like

Can I have the CAD file too?

Jagsandmgs@gmail.com