New Jag Owner(Mi)

Hey everyone. First time poster and new Jag owner here. My father is getting older and downsizing and wanted me to have his ‘63 Jag XKE(not for sale). It had been sitting in his garage for 20-25 years and I am trying to get her back on the road. The problem is I know very little about the car and I am looking for some locals to help educate me and also give me some advice so I can take care of my father’s car for decades to come.

I am going to get the car on Sat and bringing it back to the Brighton area. It currently is now running but has some issues so I am towing it to my home and storing it in my garage until spring/summer when I can address some of it’s problems. In the coming weeks I would be happy to meet some Jag experts I have been told are active in this forum from Michigan that would like to check out the car and also strike up a relationship with a new Jag owner.

1 Like

There are quite a few Brighton’s in the world, where exactly are you located. I note nothing in your profile.
Thanks

I live in Brighton Michigan and would be happy to assist.

And I am near Brighton New York and would also be willing to help.

That it is running is a good thing, but sitting for so long is “no beuno”.

Anticipate addressing the following areas soon:

• rebuild brake system (replace lines, rebuild master and servo, rebuild 4 calibers)
  • rebuild fuel system (replace lines, rebuild fuel pump, rebuild carbs)
  • tires may be flat-spotted
  • Go over electrical connections looking for corrosion (di-electric grease will be your friend)

You’re in good hands with Marco

1 Like

Thank everyone. Brighton, Michigan(Mi)

I hired a retired Jag mechanic who got the engine running, had breaks/suspension replaced, new tires. He test drove it and said it runs good for now except there is something wrong in the rear-end. He said it was making noise and “slipping”. My only plans is to get it on the trailer and get it home since he didnt have the time or tools to fix that. My future plans are eventually to have if fully restored but I need all the mechanical stuff taken care of first.

Immediately, I would pull the rear wheels and see if a drive spline is stripped.

Welcome to the E-Type forum.

Since you are close to Detroit and just up the road from Ann Arbor I’d be surprised if there isn’t someone on this list who could lend assistance.

It would be very helpful if you could ask your mechanic for greater detail about what he characterized as slipping. I’d try to get that information before I started doing anything else to address that issue. Also, do you know why your dad parked the car in the garage 25 years ago? His input about it might be useful.

Again, welcome to the list. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge a few mouse clicks away.

Yes I will. I am not thet knowledgible about cars so I am sure my description was lacking. Im planning on getting a list of what he did and what he thinks needs to be done next in much greater detail. The mechanic did say its not urgent and the car can be driven off highway but its something I need to address eventually if I want a reliable day driver while i work up to the full blown restoration.

The reason the car sat for so long is my Dad was a work at sunrise to sunset kind of guy in construction and when his kids were born pretty much all his time was taken up. I think the breaks locked on him then from that point it sat in the garage. It was nothing catastrophic that kept it in the garage thankfully.

Crazy Wolf!
Enjoy the car!
Enjoy the memories!
Even if it never moved again, it s your family history for over 50 years! Wow……
Good luck
Post , there’s a million guys here that can help
Even if you fixed one thing at a time!
It’s about the memories👍🏾
Gtjoey1314
Good luck!

Take pictures of it, and before-and-after pics when you do repairs. Take notes. Also, organize repair records for the future, perhaps when you pass it on to your own son!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!

I was able to connect with Marco in the Brighton, Michigan area and all the advice given has been greatly appreaciated. If anyone else is from the area please give me a shout!

My next steps are:

Get detailed list of work done from previous mechanic and their next steps

Apply for Heritage Certificate

Join JAPM

Start the rear-end repairs

Rust/Cosmetic Repairs

I plan on staying active here on the forum and continueing to meet some Jag experts from Michigan!!

2 Likes

Welcome & congrats. I’m in Milford, Mi. I drive my E to Brighton once a week to play pickleball. Would love another excuse to take her out. My story is similar. Dad gave me the car after a long storage.

I propose a Brighton area informal Jags and Java. Anybody know a good spot with enough parking?

1 Like

Ooooo! I see another version of an Oil Leak here!

Here is a link to a series I am writing for our club newsletter. It addresses a specific car I am restoring, a 63. But it also is meant to help impart some general knowledge about options when “restoring” a car. Check back every so often, there will be new articles added on a monthtly basis.

1 Like

That souns great! I will be bringing the car home on Sat. I asked Marco to come take a look at her in the next couple weeks about that rear-end issues so I may not be able to take her out to play for a while but I am very interested in a meet up. Ill be coming back to this post to share some pictures when I have the car home.

Thank you for the article I have a 63 XKE and im very intereting in following it @Harvey_Ferris

Tom,

There are a few spots where we could meet. Territorial Rd is a nice drive too with a coffee shop at a intersection almost in the middle of nowhere. I would like to take the Jag out for more drive before storage. Maybe we can take Dante for a ride and motivate him even more to get that 63 back into shape.

Marco

2 Likes

Sunday? (Today is booked). Or any day next week.

1 Like

Check out Eclectic Motorworks, Holland MI. Top quality, they know E-types. https://www.eclecticmotorworks.com

1 Like

I am so proud to present…. my new baby

@Marco
@wingnut2
@69coupe

6 Likes