New Jaguar Management cancels Electric XJ

Glad I bought the last design change XJL Portfolio loaded .
Seems like it is to be no more , shame .
Not all of us want a boxy SUV .
K.R.

Indeed, I am fearful about the future of Jaguar. I will not be letting go of my '17XJL and I am waiting on the delivery of my '22 F-Type R (Sept 24). I have owned 5 jaguars in my timeā€¦fear these may be the last ones.

Hi ,
The same with me . Our XJL is the last and will keep, also our 15 XK convertible .
I find the F Type too small for me . So after 6 jaguars my days of buying more I think are gone . Very unfortunate .
Kim R.

New Electric XJ Cancelled

[Have been looking at the new Audi Grandsphere Concept . This is what Jaguar should have done with the XJ . Too bad that Jaguar is headed in the wrong direction . After owning 6 , its been a hell of a ride which has for me come to an end ! very sad !
KR

I too will be hanging onto my current X351 Supercharged petrol XJL and totally skip this Battery Electric phase that will end up like the Dodo bird.
My guess is that Jaguar could not justify putting a battery electric XJ successor into production given their low volumes and need to amortize costs over a likely short model life and instead are putting all their efforts into developing a hydrogen electric XJ successor for the long term ongoing future. Easy enough for the mass producers to justify a short life battery carā€¦

No new Jaguars of any kind before 2025 . By then the brand will be forgotten .
Another sad day for us that have enjoyed the marque.
Plan to hang tight to what I now have .
K.R.
X351 XJL supercharged .
XK 5 litre convertible .

Well, for the planetā€™s sake, we better hope that is an incorrect assumption.

Jaguar had also better go with the times, otherwise, it deserves to die.

The belief is that Jaguar is mostly skipping the battery interim, and are well developed on Fuel Cell or Hydrogen Electric vehicles - which is surely the viable long term future. Remember the whole anti fossil fuel initiative was environmental, and there is nothing environmentally friendly cradle to grave with batteriesā€¦

My sources sayā€¦ā€¦.
2025. They go all battery nothing else as they will be the base test bed for technology for the money making Land Rover
They will have 2 size suv and one car
A supposed hybrid something super car
240,000 plus
The car is undecided sedan or coupe
They have zero plans with fuel cell tech

Itā€™ll be a good long time, if ever, where hydrogen/ fuel cells become economically viable.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0360319909003541

Battery/hybrids are going to be the better interim technology. 15 years ago, I did not think EVs would ever get a usable range: that got solved.

I understand but in the case of Jaguar
Their 10 year goal from last year is
Test bed for Land Rover
Hopefully a sucker comes along to buy the pieces as a bespoke company
Like Aston if not , they will be gone
Thereā€™s a lot going on with
Gov credits
Future mandates
Crash safety
So they use Jaguar as the mule .
Sadly
Gtjoey

Things have progressed significantly since this effort, albeit maybe not in USA; and no, Battery EVs still do not have acceptable range apart from city commuting, if indeed the owner has access to recharging infrastructure - and battery EVs are simply not viable for any commercial vehicles where payload is a key aspect of viability.

Toyota, Hyundai, and now Honda have all outlined their long term future will be based on Hydrogen EVs targeting from 2025/30, and that is my deliberate terminology, as the Battery car propaganda has now mostly adopted the simple EV terminology. When the battery-car do-do bird finally disappears politically, and Fuel Cell vehicles take over, then the politicians and the environmental lobbyists can simply claim they have always promoted EVs as the future, and never just battery carsā€¦
The hypocrisy in all of this is the Fuel Cell denialists/opposition talk about needing GREEN HYDROGEN and not BLUE, ORANGE and other colours that denote production from less than 100% renewable sourcesā€¦ Still havenā€™t heard anyone asking when Batteries are going to be GREENā€¦ , but given everything about batteries from cradle to grave is an ongoing environmental disaster, so RED, best not to talk about it, and keep making spurious claims about perfect world recharging times and idea conditions range, and regime change efforts in countries like Bolivia and Western Africa to control lithium mining without environmental accountabilityā€¦ Huge amount of effort now in producing Hydrogen production plants in Australia, with the technology moving more and more to mostly Green Hydrogen, and indeed we already have major export contracts to Japan and other countries that donā€™t have the same benefit we have of lots of land and solar generation capacity. One day, the US Government will work out a way of bypassing the huge financial interests in fossil fuel mining/extraction and the Tesla shareholders etcā€¦ See how the US truck fleet will go if you think you can rely on batteries to replace fossil fuels - range and recharging times, on top of the extra multiple tons of batteries affect on payload will kill its viabilityā€¦, and you donā€™t have a decent national railway system that is less mass affected, and good luck with battery powered aeroplanesā€¦

1 Like

There are many examples that this isnā€™t as big a deal as youā€™re alluding to: @Mitchman recently is one of them.

In city driving, itā€™s a nonstarter: range is perfect for in-town usage.

A continuing issue with hydrogen is that with any current technology, itā€™s a net energy sink: it takes more energy to make it then it saves using it.

That said, there are ways that hydrogen can be made less energy-intensively, but they are at this point not very scalable.

You all make great points but sticking with Jaguar , no dice
Gtjoey1314

For those who think is an Environmentally Friendly basis for Battery Electric cars, its not just about what comes out of the (non-existent) exhaust pipeā€¦ there is a huge environmental cost, in building a Battery EV in the first place, and also the premature scrapping cost, given the push for five year life of these Battery EVsā€¦ See already what the value is of a five yera old Battery EV, and the need for a new Battery pretty well means the car is an economical write offā€¦, so residual values plummet accordinglyā€¦ So they dont make any sense environmentally, nor economically, and thatā€™s before you gloss over the operational issues of range, refueling time, availability of refueling infrastructure, and impact of battery mass on load carrying capacity - so more than three strikesā€¦ The Government subsidies and incentives will not continue, indeed several States in Australia are now introducing a Road Mileage Tax, to compensate for the loss in fossil fuel exciseā€¦, as will everywhere else once fuel tax revenues diminishā€¦

Building An EV Produces 70% More Emissions Than ICE, Says Volvo (msn.com)

Oh I agree100 percent

Itā€™s always illuminatingā€“and more intellectually honestā€“to include all the parts of a citation.

"The Swedish carmaker said that over a carā€™s lifetime the electric version will become greener overall, though this will only be achieved after covering between 30,000 and 68,400 miles ā€“ taking between four and nine years for the average UK motorist.

Then, thereā€™s thisā€¦bolding mine.

ā€œVolvo said as an EV the C40 Recharge has a far lower carbon footprint than its comparable petrol version during the ā€˜use phaseā€™, though suggests it would take a prolonged period of ownership before it offsets its higher emissions from production.ā€

Production carbon footprint may indeed be higher, but thatā€™s only part of the story. Volvo also has said, as have many other sources, that to make an EV especially useful, we will have to use more renewable sources of electricity, which is beginning to happen.

Some people seem to forget that EVā€™s are in their infancy stage, and just like ICE vehicles were, in their (awful, poorly-engineered) infancy stage, theyā€™re growing by leaps and bounds, mostly towards a much better, more efficient product.

Roger,

My wife and I each own a Mustang Mach E. Premium, awd, long range batteryā€¦ 350hp/450ft lbs. 0-60, 5.3 seconds. The GT and GT performance trims are down to 0-60, 3.5.

We have each driven our cars from NC to Lexington and Louisville KY. Hers solo to NJ, and a few weeks ago we drove to Chicago in 35-40 degree weather. 32 overnight.

At the DC chargers we stop at where we can eat, in every case the car finished charging before we finished eating. The mid-way hotels have free chargers allowing us to charge while sleeping.

At home we charge in our garages while sleeping and can drive 115+ miles on $3.30 worth of electricity.

The fill 'er up at a gas pump mentality is out the window. I put the first 3,200 miles on my car without going near a charger that wasnā€™t in my garage. On a trip bio breaks and food stops make stopping a dual purpose event.

Ford is building battery plants in TN and KY for a total of $11 billion over the next decade.

Toyota is building a $1.3 billion dollar battery factory in NC, part of a total investment of $3.4 billion investment in the US alone.

All of the manufacturers we know and some we havenā€™t heard of are changing the ground beneath our feet.

Change is coming. So are longer range batteries to soothe the nay-sayerā€™s concerns.

1 Like

Nice photo!

Iā€™m impressed with your real-time, involved information.

And the smart ones are not standing on the ever-increasingly shaky ground of ā€œICE, forever!,ā€ and joining the revolution, yours truly included.

I guess us old dogs can learn new tricks, eh?

:grimacing:

1 Like