New Jaguar owner

Wow! The air maybe bad with Covid and smoke for some making 2020 a year to remember! I have a different reason to remember 2020. This year a very dear friend realizing the end of a car era for her gave me her XK120 fixed head coupe! Yes g-a-v-e to me! Wow! Now that my enthusiasm is over, I have to say I know absolutely nothing about the car. I also know if I wanted to sell it, and I am not sure I will, it won’t be worth much having sat at least 30 years after being driven. Four flat tires!

To be sure I can match the numbers I have to get the car off it’s belly, figuratively. So what do I need to know to get the wheels off so I can have new tires put on them? This is my starting point. I may have to relocate the car and it would be much easier with round tires!

Thanks
Maddy

2 Likes

Maddy,
It’s possible that those flat tires may pump-up and stay inflated long enough to move the car.

1 Like

Thank you kind Sir. It is my hope that what you say is true however I may not have to move the car for a year so my thought was to buy tires and put them on.

I am so new at this I just don’t want to do something wrong costing me more money to repair.

Welcome to the forum. Ask lots of questions here and join a local Jag club or British car club.

You were given something as far removed from today’s cars as a dial telephone is to an iphone, so get to know what you’ve got so you don’t get in trouble or cause damage.

Slow and steady for a while.

Mitchman,

Thank you for the welcome! Iam not a young person. I can appreciate the antiquity of this car. I have learned about a lead or copper hammers to remove the spinners at the hub. I will learn more what parts are really called as I pick through this car. I presume that when the spinners come off the wheel also comes off. Does it just pull off or is there a tool that is used to remove it from the axle?

This is an adventure and I will move slowly. It’s not like I am in the same class as Jay Leno undertaking a project like this getting it done in a couple of months.

Maddy

Welcome Maddy, you are in the right place for advice.
As the car has sat for so long the wheels are likely fairly well ‘fixed’ to the splines.
Once the spinners are off (Copper Hammer) the wheels are not attached by any other means so they will come off…it just may take some persuasion :tired_face:

Robin I appreciate this news! I like to learn about what I need to do before actually doing anything. So the first thing I need to do is to get to the car. The lady who gave me the car and who’s house the car resides is surrounded by boxes of her stored possessions. So I must clear out a space in order to work on the car.

When that time comes I will use a trolly jack so I can get the car high enough to remove the wheels. I also understand that someone experienced with wire wheels is needed to remove the tire and put another one on. This is my second task, to locate a wheel person who is familiar with wire wheels.

It will be in the heart of winter where I am before I get to the task at hand.

Maddy

Maddy it really helps the forum members to know where abouts in the world you are as this is a world wide forum, you can add your country flag to your profile.
If you haven’t already it is strongly advised to invest in a GOOD pair of axle stands to support the car.

I would suggest you slow down and figure out what you have before spending any money on it. I think the suggestion that you try to inflate the existing tires is a good one. The old tires will have inner tubes which can often hold air even though the tire looks completely shot. You are not trying to drive the car, just allow it to roll. You may also find that the brakes are locked up preventing it from rolling even with new tires. I would not buy new tires as the wheels may be past their useful life if they are wire wheels and rusted. If stuck, it may also be no small project to get them off. Don’t despair. Just hire a flat bed to get it out of there and let them know it may not be a roller. Once you have it where you can work on it, and can easily inspect the car, take stock of what you have (and don’t have). Decide what your ultimate goal is (just make it run, restore to driver or concourse standards), and make a plan to get there. If you are uncertain, find someone who can give you expert advice like a club member or someone on this forum. Remember that tires have a finite life. You don’t want to use half of it just rolling a chassis in and out of a garage. Also, you may well decide to buy a different type or size of tire when you know more. So, go slow, do your research and have a plan. Old car restoration teaches many things, but patience is key.

2 Likes

Maddy
I would contact your local Jaguar Club and ask them for help. There would be several members who would love to come over, put that car on jack stands and help you remove the wheels. If you are in the US, go to the JCNA (Jaguar Club of North America) website and it will tell you the nearest Jaguar Club. If you live in the UK, go to your nearest Jaguar Dealer and ask them how to contact the Jaguar Club.
These guys and gals have a wealth of knowledge and most are more than willing to lend a hand.

I live in USA in the Pacific Northwest. How do I put a flag next to my name?

Go to your avatar, top right of the page, tap on your name and scroll down to preferences, then go to profile and fill in any information that you want to

Where in the PNW? I’m in Redmond, WA

The advice given by Bob is wise. I urge you to follow it. You can buy new tires at any time but why now? If you decide to keep the car new tires will likely be close to stale dated by the time you get it on the road. If you decide to sell it new tires will add little or nothing to it’s value. Get the car into your garage and then enlist the help of a local person who is familiar with these cars to help you evaluate it. You local jaguar club is guaranteed to have someone who would love to give the car a once over with you. Good luck.

1 Like

Yes I believe this is sage advice.

Welcome Maddy. I am in Chicagoland so not really available to help in person, but I have owned my 120 FHC 679187 for 40 years so love to hear about another one being rescued.

Let us know you chassis and engine numbers, as there were many changes to these cars over the production run 1949-54 and most of them are recorded by chassis number or engine number in the Spare Parts Catalogue, if/when you have questions.
Here are some pictures of wire wheel splines on my 1938 SS, which will be pretty much the same as yours.

The knock-off spinners are left and right hand threads.
On the left side to get them off you hammer counter-clockwise.

On the right side you hammer clockwise.

That’s what UNDO means.
But I agree with the other folks, pump up the tires and get it home first.
If any tire won’t pump up, consider that tire as shot and you’re not going to make it any worse-than-shot by dragging it out and onto a flatbed hauler.

1 Like

NOOOOOOOOO!

Its not often I disagree with ya, but copper will damage the knockoffs.

Lead hammers only, please.

1 Like

See if @chuck_goolsbee checks in: lives there and is a gold mine of information.

Just going with what Jaguar supplied😇

Been banging mine off with copper for the last 37 years with no sign of chrome damage on spinner.
Just saying, each to his own though.