New Jaguar XJ rumored to be on the chopping block

According to this report, things are more dire at Jaguar than have previously been reported.

TL;DR: Jaguar’s sedans are pulling down all of JLR, which is currently only being kept afloat by Land Rover’s SUV sales.

…sad. Hope Jag can figure it out.

1 Like

Everyone who has ever been interviewed at Jaguar has always said that the XJ is core to their brand, it would be a shame to pull this now as a huge percentage of the development work has been done and rumours suggest it could well give the Model S a run for its money and match its range…

Not surprising given the sales figures.

I hope they can get things figured out over at Jaguar, but their recent updates to different models don’t give me much hope.

Well from my sources, This is not a shock BUT, The new XJ was a buffer for the governments to back off as it will be an electric car only.
Land Rover is a GOLD MINE, But a gas guzzling , tree killing monster to the green groups.
The latest current XJ is very tired plus the interior and design interior was always an abortion compared to the past. I love my xk sportbrake BUT the materials are not up to the competition, its cheap.
My wife f pace WAS great but the cut roof and blind angle became annoying. We went back to Land Rover, its just a better product.
The car is basically dead. The F TYPE is dead,the sales numbers are terrible. IMHO again because the quality is cheap…real cheap.
GTJOEY1314

Well the word is out, JAGUAR is trying to go ALL electric in 4 years.
I guess its this or go bust?
GTJOEY1314

Well otoh this is the future:

In July 2019 Lotus revealed the Evija, a 1470kW (2000 PS; 1970hp) and 1700 Nm (1254 lb ft) electric supercar.

The 131 will probably the last one with an engine:

On January 2021, Lotus teased that the Elise, Exige, and Evora will be discontinued and be replaced by the Type 131 which had yet to be released at the time of announcement.

Electric isn’t a problem, it’s an advantage.

1 Like

Exactly! I don’t understand all this doom and gloom over EVs. They’re crazy fun to drive, and they offer a whole new world of opportunities for hot rodding.

My ideal car would be my F-Type with an electric drive train, same power, and range (~350 miles) but no increase in overall weight. That’s probably not possible just yet, but soon it will be.

Single-pedal driving that thing through the twisty bits around here would be epic!

1 Like

In Calif,. those who buy electricity from PG&E will find its cheaper to drive on gasoline than what they charge for electricity.
The national average per kwh has gone from 11 cents to 12 cents. PGG&E runs from about 26 cents to sometimes forty-some cents per kwh.
LLoyd

It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

You’re making me cry, we pay 25ct or more per kwh and they added 10 cents PER LITRE as an additional tax “for the environment” - money you’d get back if you deduct it from your taxes when you need to drive to work.

I’m sure the cost of fuel increasing everywhere plus other taxations will lead to a quick end of it all.

Maybe a light hybrid would be fun. Many cars already do it, a torque boost for the twisty bits and a lighter engine to compensate the battery is almost always very cool. Even the electric B Class I drove (small, boring minivan?) was a lot of fun.

Not true. I live in California and use an EV for my commute. Even if we didn’t have solar panels on our house, we’d still be saving money over our previous commute car, an Audi Q5 3.0 diesel.

1 Like

Old guy who cant cotton change.

Bring on the amps!

Im ALL in and loved the I PACE…But lets face it, the infrastructure is not there along with the materials.
We cant get a computer chip for a FORD F150 let alone enough lithium to power 223 MILLION CARS.
Hope Im wrong but Jaguar is done.
gtjoey1314

You describe 223 million cars (EVs) as a problem, I see it as an opportunity. I’m betting a lot of entrepreneurial people see it my way too.

I hope you’re wrong too. I feel Jaguar has lost its way, the only interesting cars they’re currently selling are the I-Pace and the F-Type. The former isn’t even made by Jaguar (Magna Steyr makes it), and the latter is getting quite long in the tooth.

The XE, XF, and the blah-Paces, as well as the dearly departed XJ are/were boring pieces of soap. And not the good kind of soap, the stuff you get in specialty stores that smells of spices and places you’ve never visited. No, the boring supermarket stuff, “2 for the price of 1.”

2 Likes

GUNNAR 5 years ago I was with EVERY PRESIDENT of ALL the major car companies in some meetings before the Amelia event. That was 5 years ago and they promised 10 .
I posted that EV is on the way no matter what…Remember , EVERYONE called me names, yelled and all the rest.
It coming, but unless the GOVERNMENT takes ALL our 401k MONIES, THE INFERSTRUCTURE cant be completed.
I LOVED MY IPACE, I told all its a modern Model T , My friend is trying to patent the solar roof on cars.
Theres ALOT of filthy things that are going on and WHO gets paid off…Its going to take time.
gtjoey314

Gunnar…I agree with you. Jaguar has produced some of the most bland unexciting cars for many years. That is the REASON sales have been dismal! There are SOME people who will buy a Jaguar just because of the name even IF it was a square box with Jaguar on it! Objectively, most of the cars today from Asia and Korea are beautiful, reliable, technogically equipped that some Jaguars do not have! I’m sick of people who still say these cars are just “appliances”! With young people today, they do NOT care as much about the name plate as I did, but love a particular car for what it offers! I think the days of liking a car just because it’s a Jaguar, BMW or Mercedes are over for MOST people! Again, it amazes me when someone is loyal to one manufacturer just because of the name when the car is close to crap! No, I still love Jaguars when they WERE Jaguars with my 2 E-Types, MK2, XK140, XJ6s, and even a 2005 VP.

Richard

1 Like