New Member - 1964 FHC

That’s the easy part: after those necessary steps, I’d like to see how the seats were modified to fit.

I’d rather not hijack this thread with an OD discussion, but in case there’s another person that’s interested in adding an overdrive to a SWB E-type, I’ll get this project finished up and start a new post. By the way, anyone with a LWB 2+2 that’s considering switching to a 5-speed box rather than (easily) installing an overdrive to their 4-speed is, in my humble opinion, making a unfortunate choice.

Since the OD install, on a SWB EType, will require butchery, whereas a number of 5-speed conversions do not, that might be a tough sell, to many.

Welcome to the forum, Bob. I joined this group just last May after buying a '64 FHC that needs complete restoration, although there is no body rot to speak of. My car spent it’s life in northern CA where there is no real winter and no salt! These folks have been generous with sometimes esoteric solutions that you will not find in the shop manuals. By the way, my chassis number is 889975, quite close to yours. But I am in Utah so will not likely pay you a visit soon. Best wishes on your restoration.
P. Carter
'64 FHC

Bob,
welcome to the forum.
A group of very knowledgeable and helpful people you won’t find anywhere else.

Ole, Annapolis, 1974 S3 OTS, 4sp + O/D

The first major milestone on Restoration Road.

6 Likes

Nice! Whose is the yellow one behind?

Not mine. It’s a S2 2+2 (complete and running) that was leaving as I was arriving.

Very nice…awesome body gaps and great reflection lines.

Another welcome Bob! I love to see one of the Es being brought back instead of left to return to the earth. Its beautiful.
pauls

Thank you Steve. It’s come a long way in 12 months.

Thank you Paul. I bought it out of a junkyard in 1985, so I guess I saved it from the compactor.

1 Like

Keep us posted, Bob. Sorry that I’m not still in N. VA to watch your progress in person.

Welcome Bob!
Whatever you do on that car you"ll be rewarded, those good E types go for
a lot of money.
I had an E type for about 20 years.
I have a complete catalog from 1948 to 1991 with each part and a picture,
it has about 200 pages.
Let me know if your interested in purchasing it.
Walter

what do you want for this catalog?

Pete!

I’ve had that catalog since 1996 when I bought it new, its in new condition.

Asking 40$

Walter

Busy day today.

After breakfast:

Just before lunch (Milestone 2 on Restoration Road - engine in) :

Just before dinner (Milestone 3 on Restoration Road - rear end (temporarily) in and wheels on):

Still a long way to go, but things are heading in the right direction.

Bob

4 Likes

Helluva productive day! :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

So funny that you bought yours out of a junkyard in Dayton, Ohio in 85. I got my coupe out of junkyard in Clayton, Ohio in 85 three days before it and several others were set to be crushed.

Nice work Bob … and pretty quick compared to my pace… and I’m retired!
The interior really slowed me down…
Cheers
Danny