New member here, general reference questions

Hello:
I am coming over from the Saloons forum where I was for 13 years. I just bought a 2006 X Type Estate Wagon with 170,000 miles. It seems to be running fine. I drove it over the Sierras getting it home to Nevada from California and then I went back over to Oregon for the weekend and came back without any trouble. We got real good mileage in the process.
My first question is can someone confirm what parts are Ford parts, like in the drive train? And what Ford do they come from? Contour, Mondeo, Taurus?
There is one peculiarity in my transmission, it tends sometimes to jerk randomly running uphill in 5th gear. The jerking will stop if I shift down to 4th.
I don’t know anything about automatic transmissions, I would like to talk to a transmission person, but I would like to tell them it is a Ford Taurus, or whatever, so they don’t get spooky about the brand.
V6 3.0 liter engine.
My mechanic told me to get tires all the same size, which I did. That made sense but didn’t seem to fix the issue.
Thanking you all in advance,
Peter J. Smith, Carson City

Hi Peter, Mondeo is the donar car:) most of the running gear I think, happy to be corrected on that point. But definitely rack ends are from the mondeo. Not sure if the trans is unique to the X
I do seem to remember that Jaguar Jaguarised the engine to make it a little more refined (cast iron rear exhaust manifolds) not sure what else they did. Wife had a prang a few weeks ago and is currently waiting for her car (Mazda6) to be repaired, her loan car? A 2.5 X type:) seems thirstiest than the Mazda and it’s only 200cc larger

I had some random misfire problems until my mechanic discovered a poor ground and cleaned it up. Since the X Type is AWD and the Mondeo wasn’t, most of the drive train is Jaguar. There was a very good article in a recent Jaguar World magazine that discussed what was Jag and what was Ford. I bought my sedan in December, as a ski car. I got the roof rack from the local Jag dealers parts dept. It fits the mounting points built into the roof. I’ve put a lot of miles on it and am enjoying it.

1 Like

Hi Graeme, are you certain about the mondeo not being AWD?? I know the 2.5 and 3.0 litre cars were available here in NZ, the 2.1 tire was only FWD.

Thanks, I will try to find Jaguar World and that article.

The article I read stated the Mondeo was front wheel drive and since Jaguar wanted to stick to the front engine, rear drive layout, much of the suspension and driveline was unique to the X Type. As far as I know, all the X Types imported to North America were AWD. I love my X Type and drive it more than my XK8.

Robin, I have the 3.0 X Type and I get very good mileage out of it, since getting the ground problem fixed. I regularly get 35 mpg. I have the 5 speed manual transmission.

This X is an auto with the 5 speed and just been used to commute to and from work mainly on the car park (motorway) that the wife uses to get to work each day