New Member - New XJS Owner

Hi all

I’ve been reading through this forum for sometime now and after my latest purchase thought I should join and become more actively involved and learn more about the nuances of my 1994 XJS V12 Coupe at the same time. I have owned a couple of more modern Jag’s in recent years but the supercharged 8 cylinder S-Type and more recently XF SV8 are a very different kettle of fish to the XJS. I’m excited about having something that I don’t use as a daily driver which gives me more time to ‘tinker’ and polish it so that when I do get it out of the garage, will enjoy even more.

In New Zealand which is where I am based, these late model variants are actually pretty tough to find and not particularly cheap. I ended up getting what I think was a really well priced vehicle for the age and low mileage (48,000km) at $20,000 NZD. The previous owner rarely used it and had another XJS 2 years older and that being problem free, decided to sell the vehicle I ended up buying due to a few ‘gremlins’ he decided he did not have the inclination nor time to resolve and the price reflected that.

Mechanically the car has been very well maintained and the body work looks stunning but a couple of issues such as water leaking and dripping through both front driver and passenger speaker covers, central locking not working and a recent failed warrant of fitness due to cracked bushes in the rear trailing arms are the key reasons he was willing to let it go at the price I bought it for. The bushes are my first priority as I need to get a WOF before it’s road worthy again and whilst addressing these I am considering how much more I may address in the rear end of the car at the same time.

At this stage based on some of the info I have been reading it may be prudent to replace the rear subframe mounts, replace the shocks (a bit soft and the car floats a little too much for my liking around corners), springs and then anything else perishable that may make sense to do in that area whilst it’s up on a hoist. I am thinking new Blistein Shocks (the B6 Performance shock seems to come up in a number of searches) and am pretty sure I read somewhere that in my year car the Blistein were standard from the factory but would be anyone’s much more expert opinion on this given I am really just started to learn about this car from what I read online.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the community and most importantly, below are a of photo of the new acquisition

1 Like

Hi Gareth, welcome to the forums, where are you based?
Bilsteins are the best option IMHO they are what I replaced the front shocks on my ‘92 ‘40 and they were great.

Hi Robin - thanks for the welcome. Good to hear you agree with the Blisteins as an option, I realise there are a heap of different choices of shock out there available but you can’t go past someone with first hand experience already using them so I will put another tick towards that as a possible choice.

I’m based in Auckland on the shore.

If you havn’t already check out;
Jaguardriversclub.co.nz

Welcome to JL!

Coupes with the factory 6.0L v12 are super rare, not only in New Zealand. If you look me up, you’ll see that I have posted the production numbers on multiple occasions.
You’ve done very, very well with the purchase.

BTW, with the turbine wheels, this car would be model year 1995 in the US (production date post July 1994).
What are the last 6 digits of your VIN? If you are above 198500, the car will be one of less than 100 built (and you’ll have the Teves IV ABS, not the dreaded by many Teves III – the system with electric pump and charge stored in an accumulator ball)

Thanks Steve and I am very happy with the purchase. Have been considering buying one for some time and I was lucky this particular car came available through a family friend so I jumped at the opportunity once I realised he was considering letting it go.

My last 6 digits of the VIN are 195824 - it was imported into NZ from Japan back in 2001.

And I will check out the jaguar drivers club thanks Robin :slight_smile:

Welcome Gareth. Nice looking kitty!! I have a 95 V12 Coupe with those same wheels :slight_smile:
Guys on this forum are truly a wealth of knowledge.
If you haven’t already downloaded Experience in a Book by Kirby Palm - - do so. Is is available here on the Jag-lovers website. You will hear it mentioned numerous times in posts. Also , check out the V12 forum – you will find good info there as well.
SBOBEV is a good source also - - he has a post-facelift 6.0 liter XJS.

Jim

Welcome to the forum Gareth,
and a beautiful car indeed !

Removing the trailing arms is quite an easy job, baring of course that the bushings are not rusted and stuck on the body…
To change the sub-frame mounts though you have to remove the sub-frame off the car, a somewhat more complicated job.
These bushings stay compressed all the time and don’t fail very often.
Lifting the car from the body will give signs if these bushings are solid, as they will have to take the weight of the sub-frame.
But of course, if you want to change them anyway it will not harm !

If I am correct, you must have outboard brakes.
So if your Differential is not leaking or making weird noises there is no other reason for the sub-frame to come out. All other maintenance items, shocks, suspension bearings etc, can be changed in situ.

Once on the lift check all bearings for play, swing arm, hub carrier and wheel.

If it’s not your door seals then most probably it’s your windshield leaking, a known malady.
It has to come out and re-sealed before rust starts to eat your body…

Best,
Aristides

1 Like

That looks like a very fine ride.
Did the number plate come with the car? Very cool indeed! XJS6LT!!!
I thought all of the 1994s on, when equipped with a V12, had a rear wing.
Does that have a badge on the front wing panel or is that an indicator?
Every facelift 1993+ on I’ve seen, had indicator lenses on the front and rear bumper covers.
One other observation-is the boot lid “XJS”, it looks like gold chrome.
I know some special additions had that.
All the facelift XJS V12s I have seen, also had “V12” In the same style next to it.

Wow Gaza … It’s like I’m looking at Superblue’s “sister down under” … fellow '94 Kingfisher Blue coupe. Well, I guess that’s Superblue’s “big” sister, since yours has the V-12 compared to Superblue’s 6 cyl. Hopefully it doesn’t get as hot there in Kiwiland as here in Texas, so you can avoid any excessive heat-related issues. :sun_with_face:

Beautiful-looking cat, and congrats! :smile:

I have a 94 coupe 4.0 and recently replaced all the rubber bits in the front and rear suspension. I also purchased Bilstein shocks.

I think, but can’t be sure but I think I should have gone with OEM shocks. I wanted the “Jaguar” ride. It is quite smooth and controlled after the installation of all new bits but to me the ride is a bit too harsh with the Bilstein shocks. Not uncomfortable at all but not what I was expecting.

I’m considering trying the Boge shocks as an experiment but still on the fence about the expense.

Gordon

Wow, DZ … I clicked on your profile to see what kind of Jag you have, and it says “banned for life” … wth??? :open_mouth: How were you able to post, then? :confused:

That post was from 2018.

O.K. I guess the system apparently doesn’t automatically delete any (earlier) posts by a “banned for life” poster then.

I don’t see much in the way of ‘hate speech’ on this forum - that’s for certain.

1 Like

I think it’s better when the banned banner reads, “Suspended til 25 November 3021.”

:grimacing:

No early release for good behavior? :laughing: