New non sport pack shocks with sport pack springs

hello
i recently replaced my front springs on my 4 litre 95 xjs convertible , it did have non sport pack springs ,
i did install sport pack springs that i bought from welsh , nobody sells aftermarket front sport pack shocks to go with my sportpack spring .
I ended up installing non sportpack shocks , is this going to cause a lot of problems , how important is to match the spring and shock since aftermarket shocks are not very application specific.
I did not see any length difference between the old springs and new ones when i had my old springs out of the car.
is the only difference the stiffness?
any good help will be appreciated.

I was always led to believe that the sportspack shocks were Bilsteins whereas the non-sportspack shocks were Boge.

I believe if you want the sportspack shock, all you need to do is pick up a set of Bilsteins.

I can’t see that it would “cause a problem”; that is, nothing bad will happen. It might not be an optimal combination…but you might not even notice, depending on your driving style and sensitivity to such things.

Cheers
DD

Bilstien shocks are advertised as non sport pack

For the facelift models? I haven’t seen that.

I’ve always known Boge to be OEM on the cars with Bilsteins as an upgrade on the Sportspack.

Advertised? Where? Could you be more specific? I’m asking, not arguing :slight_smile:

Over the years Bilstein has changed its offerings, nomenclature, and part numbering system.

Cheers
DD

last place i looked was fcp euro and partsgeek partsgeek part number is W0133-1910576 it says without sportspack .

I did some checking and couldn’t find the detailed Bilstein info that I had found many years ago.

As I recall …others might correct my memory…Bilstein used to offer two or three choices for XJS shocks via their aftermarket/replacement distribution system… none of which were truly an exact part number match for the shocks used by Jaguar in the “Sportspack” applications. In other words, the exact Sportspack shock was manufactured for sale to Jaguar only, and not offered via the aftermarket/replacement supply chain. The Sportspack part number info (as stamped on the shocks themselves) might be in the archives…but it might not do you any good.

What I’ve been able to determine today is that Bilstein no longer offers the “B4” Standard shock absorber for Jaguars and now offers only the “B6” Performance shock absorber. How close this is to original “Sportspack” specification, I can’t say.

As the years go by it’s typical for manufacturers to ‘rationalize’ their offerings like this. Jaguar itself shows several different shock absorber choices for the later model XJS…but I’ll wager several different parts numbers have similarly been rationalized down to two or three.

Nomenclature and descriptions (touring suspension, sportspack, heavy duty, performance, etc) get muddled with all these changes as well.

Have you checked to see what might still be available from Jaguar?

Cheers
DD

JDHT shows both as available!

yes you are correct , i knew that but do i want to pay close to 400 hundred dollars for genuine jaguar sportspack shock ,
does it make enough difference to justify paying 300 dollars more when i can buy a set of boge non sportspack aftermarket for 100 dollars( cac9098) , and as i mentioned in my original post nobody sells aftermarket sportspack shocks
I was aware that jdht still have them .
I rather to know if t is worth paying the extra money to get genuine jaguar sportspack before wasting 300 dollars.

jaguar still offers sportspack shocks for 400 dollars for 2 of them , the part number is ccc7474 , it is green
r
the question is , should i pay that much to get the correct shock , i will if i know it is going to raise the car by 1 inch or it is necessary.

I just bought a set of bilsteins , I hope that will help me

I installed my new bilstein shocks , I like them a lot , you were right they are sportier , you can barley compress them by hand when they are off the car when it is easy to compress the boge shock by hand , the build quality is great and design of the lower bushing is far better than boge , the boge shock lower bushing will slide of the shock housing as they have no lip to keep them centralized.
bilstein also comes with correct upper bushing and cup washers.
they did raise the car by 3/4 to 1 inch for sure.
I am a new fan of bilstein shocks