New owner 95 V12 2+2

Just wanted to say hello.

I bought a 95 XJS V12 2+2 in January after looking around for a while. I wanted a coupe, but couldn’t find any nice ones.

My first car was a 70 MGB GT, followed by various 912s, 911s, TR6s, etc. Now I also have an early 61 MG Midget, which I have worked to keep original. Think of that as the 948cc bookend to this car.

I have been around Jaguars for most of my life, and a couple of friends have had XJSes, but this is my first one, so I’m learning a lot as I go.

Back to this car. I’m the third owner. It is Flamenco and coffee. The previous owner bought it in 98 as a three year old used car that she just liked. It has been in the San Francisco Bay Area since new. It seems to be a fairly late 95, although I could be wrong (still learning). It has a wood and leather steering wheel, Teves 4 (I think, large booster on the master), but still a distributor under the beauty shield.

It needed some basic services to get it roadworthy, and an alternator and tires. So far, (3k miles later) it runs beautifully, and I’m very happy with it. I’d describe it as a pretty clean driver, with a few little scrapes and bumps here and there, but overall really nice shape for a 22 year old car.

Nice to be here, and hope I can contribute, although I will probably have questions as I go.

C.

Congratulations on the purchase. Post a picture for us!

I love the early midgets that don’t have wind up windows. They are just perfect.

Your first order of business should be to check all fuel lines, brake lines, and other rubber life-supporting components. Time and heat just kills them on these cars. I just got in from the garage where I’m doing new fuel lines on 92 Flamenco coupe I got two weeks ago. It’s a PITA, nothing like an MG!

-John

Thank you John.

Yes, I agree. All rubber, oiling, igniting, cooling, shifting, and braking systems require careful inspection.

We’ve looked everything over on this car, replaced what was needed and all looks good. Now I am putting on a few miles and taking notes. I drive it nearly every day, and it is happier for that, and running better and better. I really love this car.

I do need to take a good pic of it. The only ones are from when I got it home, and it needed a bath.

Yes the early Midgets are so much fun. Mine is a similar story to the XJS. I bought it from the original owner, who bought it new in Berkeley in 1961. Still has the original rubber interior, and 43k from new. Perfect car for the back roads, where the XJS is less happy. Ive done some recommissioning, but only with NOS parts.

What really turned me on to XJSes was going to Le Mans in 2006 with my friend. He had an early facelift 5.3 coupe. We went from Cornwall to all over France, including the Le Mans 24 hours. We split driving duties, and that car was just phenomenal. Including its thirst, but then again we were never hanging about.

C.

Welcome to the JL forum C.
For the record – Teves III has accumulator sphere and electrical pump. This type of ABS was not installed past VIN ending with approx. 200000. I think this would roughly translate to build date in October-November 1994.
Also, only the XJ12 (x308) received the NipponDenso distributor-less ignition. All XJS 6.0L have the Marelli ignition.

Going over the latter will have to be your ABSOLUTE top priority.
Steve

Thank you!

Yes, it has a distributor, and we have inspected that. I was expecting the alternator to be Bosch for some reason, but it is a nippondenso.

My car was built 12/94.

Those are NOT legit V12 rims. They were, AFAIK, only used on the 6-bangers.
The XJR-S were fitted with similar looking wheels, but they are staggered and called for fatter tires.
Yours should be 225/60/16 all around.
There will be a lot of Denso items, not only the alternator on your car. I think the secondary air injection pump is also ND.

Steve

Hello Steve,

I had a similar initial reaction about the wheels… I thought they should be diamond finished 5 spoke wheels, or possibly the turbines. I also wasn’t sure I liked the half wood rim steering wheel.

At the time I searched and found a brochure listing road wheel options for 1995 XJS, and sure enough, the 5 spokes in 95 were for the 6 cylinder cars, and these diamond finished aerosports were an option for V12s.Then in 96 the aerosports appear to have become standard for the six, since they only made 3 V12s (I believe). That brochure is how I learned that they were referred to as aerosports.

Sadly the brochure was on eBay, and I missed it, and of course can’t find another one now. It also listed the turbines, and a few others as I recall. Most looked similar to XJ wheels, and they were strictly for the six cylinder cars. I’ll try to find another brochure.

Anyway, yes my tires are all the same size, as you noted they should be.

I’m quite comfortable that this car is as it was originally built. The previous long term owner was a now older lady that bought it in 1998, and she was the second owner. She doesn’t seem like the type to monkey about with something. Everything has the same age feel and wear to it.

Even if it isn’t, I spent all day in it today, going down to the central coast, meeting up with some friends and generally messing about. Good fun. The car ran perfectly, although I really wish it had a larger fuel tank.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

C.

Jaguar is known to change things on the go, BUT, per the official Jaguar brochure, all V12s sold as MY’95 had the 20-spoke wheels, with the chromed 5-spoke road wheel as an option.

If you click on my avatar, you should be able to see the production numbers for the 6.0L. Better version of it is attached.

Best regards,
Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for posting this info. That is exactly what I had seen, and made me wonder why I had the “wrong” wheels.

I found the brochure, which shows the Aerosports as available for XJS:

I found this one as well, for general accessories. I’ve got my eyes open for a general 1995 brochure (I have a 94), as well as color swatches for the interior and paint options.

Steve, you have a beautiful car. I really like that blue!

I’m going to enjoy following this thread. I’ve had my 94 XJS V12 a while but aside from two new fuel pumps in the last couple of weeks. I’ve barely touched it in 2 years. I need to get going on it. Every time I start it, I’m amazed at how smooth an engine it is.

This is wheel fitment guide. The page from the Jaguar publication I posted earlier specifies what is available standard and optional on the 6.0L V12 for the US market.
I know from UK-based 6.0L owners that their diving light bezels are chromed (standard) as well as the mirrors.
Their cars also don’t seem to have rear spoilers, while in the US, the rear spoiler is standard.
There is no US-bound 6.0L V12 with this configuration from the factory.
European markets did not see chrome wheels even as an option, if memory serves.

Lots of variations and lots of dealer-installed items in the US.
Steve

Thank you.

You are new, did not see the “old site”
I happen to have a lot of work documented there, here are my albums:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_photo_section_index3.php3?zx=SdAH0BPw29nTRf8%2BOt7aAhIQOjbV1cQ1Bkb0ydEJP9QQL5%2BbxjTOEQCW1s4IzxIH4J%2FPA8kMBpfezAXHCf6YmPf00g%3D%3D

Enjoy,
Steve

Al:
Enjoy your ride. You are one of the very few 6.0L V12 owners here. Glad to have a “partner in crime” :slight_smile:

Also, I will admit it – I am absolutely jealous. Your car doesn’t get driven much, yet, you have a smooth engine. Other 6.0L owners and I have long battled “rolling” idle on our engines, and some of my experience is documented here:

and here:

Best regards,
Steve

I’m pretty fortunate in that case that mine seems to idle pretty well. The car also has miles on and needs a lot of little things. I will save that for another thread.

I just remembered, I bought an original 1994 brochure after I got my 94 v12 coupe.
Now all I have to do is find it, if you are interested, contact me offline please.
Steve
steve@equiprx.net or
65oh.455.111oh

Steve,
Never got the message, sorry.
Have not been able to keep up with Jag lovers lately.
I had a nasty crash and most of the time i’m either at the dr. or something related.
Steve

Hello Steve,

Funny, those (UK) differences are precisely how I wished this car was. I prefer a bit of chrome, and I can do without the tail. But since it came this way, I will keep it this way.

I’m not sure I agree with your interpretation of the accessory wheels brochure vs a fitment list, but I bought one, and will take a look when it arrives next week.

I do completely agree with you about the standard wheel spec. At the end of the day, I suspect these are round bits of metal made by Jaguar that support other bits of rubber to stay round and hold some air. They could well be dealer installed. :slight_smile:

Now you have me very curious. I’ll see about a Jaguar Heritage Trust certificate. Perhaps it will cover factory options. Porsche’s cert does and the one for the 61 Midget supposedly does, except I haven’t been bothered to order that one yet. I’ll get both.

Also very interesting links to rolling idle. Thank you. I haven’t had time to read them, but I will. Mine smoothed out a lot with some good drives, and regular use. It is pure cream now.

Thanks,
C.

Hello Steve,

Are your throttle body mods similar to the ones done by AJ6? I am considering those, the intake mods, ecu, and elimination of the forward mufflers to wake it up a bit. But the sleepiness is also somewhat endearing, so I am torn.

That said, I’m very wary of messing up a good thing. I fitted a period Judson supercharger to my 948cc Midget, and even though it was a specific set up, and working with very experienced mechanics, it just spoiled the basic car, so I put it on a shelf instead. Expensive paperweight. :slight_smile:

C.

Extremely beautiful!