New owner 95 V12 2+2

Yes, bored TBs are similar to what AJ6Engineering offers, but were done in Florida, not in the UK.
I had to get the EPROM from Roger Bywater to change the 36CU base fueling map.

By forward mufflers, do you mean the ones under the rear seat (pointed with the red arrow in the picture)?

If you are going to remove those, please save them – I am interested in buying them from you (currently I have something customized in place as I damaged one side over a speed bump)

Steve

Steve . . .
How do you keep the underside of your car so clean? I looks like I could eat dinner off it (except that it IS the underside).

Hi Steve,

Yes, those are what I was referring to. I’ll probably just keep them on the shelf, in case I ever sell the car, and someone wants to put them back in. If I don’t keep them, you will be the first to know.

The wheel brochure arrived, and it certainly refers to “see your dealer”. So maybe that is what happened to my car. I also bought an 1995 XJS options brochure, which had disappointingly few details or pictures of anything.

I’ve been too busy this week to order the Jaguar certificate, but I’ll make some time this weekend.

Thanks,
C.

Steve,

That IS clean!

C.

Hello Steve, I’m new here and came across your post. I own a 1995 6.0L V12 XJS Convertible. I’m the second owner (purchased in 2001). It has 14,000 original miles. It is only driven in Spring and Summer. The only issue I ever had was replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. *I am not familiar with the term “rolling” idle? Is this something I should be watching for? What exactly are the symptoms? Thanks for your insight Steve! All the Best~ George

George,

When your car’s engine is fully warm, select park or neutral on the selector. In quiet surroundings, listen to you car’s engine idle & watch the rev counter - you may or may not see a 25 to 50 rev variation in idle speed - if so, that is “rolling idle” - if not & the idle is rock steady @ say 750rpm, then well done - yours is not the norm!

Rgds.

Andy.

Hello Andy!

Thank you for your help!! My Jaguar tech never mentioned this to me at all? After the car is warm, there is definitely no variation in RPMs at idle. I’m always amazed at how quiet these V12’s run! With a vehicle this old, I always look at all gauges as the vehicle is seldom driven. Everything functions as it should… In fact, I think she does idles at 750 rpm or less. Never hesitates on acceleration and no issues of stalling while at a stop… So I imagine that she’s idling as she should?

If she develops a rolling idle as you describe below, what would be the possible solutions? On my Jag, everything is still original as the vehicle has only 14,000 miles. Obviously, I’ve changed fluids on a regular basis; however, plugs and wires are still original. *To prevent future idle issues, is this something I should have changed when the Crankshaft Position Sensor was replaced?

Thanks again for your help and insight!

Best Regards,

George

George,

I think Steve has replaced pretty much everything ignition related in his engine bay to try & cure his rolling idle - without success as far as I know.

My car (93 car but 94MY) also does it & I am told that it’s down to O2 sensor feedback & one of the ECUs trying to trim ‘fueling’ which it then does, gets more O2 sensor feedback so it trims ‘fueling’ in the other direction - hence the rolling idle.

I personally would have replaced 22 year old plugs & wires by now on a perceived time based deterioration, regardless of mileage.

Rgds.

Andy.

100% correct Andy.

I have confirmed this at a dyno-stand with two wideband O2 in both tailpipes. The +/- 50 rpm at idle correlates with the mixture getting lean and rich with the same periodicity.

The ONLY way the engine is dead-steady at idle is if the O2 signal wires are disconnected and the 36CU runs off the default map

Steve

PS The adaptive fueling trim is our enemy. I am convinced. The O2 sensors will provide signal to the ECU to alter the injector pulses. Both the long- and short-term fuel trims get messed up on our engines, which are no longer in brand new condition (I am at 98,000 miles).

Welcome to JL George, where are you located?

14,000 miles is just incredible. This probably means the car sleeps 99% of the time. Do make sure when you start the engine, run it for sufficient amount of time so it reaches operating temperature for BOTH coolant and oil.

Also, irrespective of the low miles, I’d inspect every rubber hose in the engine compartment. Rubber doesn’t age well, especially if exposed to fuel and oil vapors.

Best regards,
Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your post! We just moved down to the Jersey Shore. Currently, the Jag is in storage but I may take her out for The Brits on the Beach Auto show on the 16th. There’s an XJS Class which she’ll do very well in.

Back in 2001, I purchased my Jag from a collector. The moment she was lowered off the carrier, I knew that I had purchased something very special (I’m certain that everyone here feels the same way). The previous owner had kept her in flawless condition. It still smelled of fresh Connolly Leather. Just firing up the engine was an experience! At that moment, I knew that I needed to keep her as close to Concours as possible. Hence, the low mileage…

The vehicle is stored in a climate controlled garage. Yes, she’s fired up periodically as part of her long term maintenance. Two years ago, I had my Jaguar Tech go through ‘everything’ just to see what it may need? Crankshaft Position Sensor was replace with OEM part. Alternator was rebuilt as new OEM was no longer available. Parking Brake shoes were replaced… A few replaced relays and bulbs, but that’s all it needed. Everything else is 100% original. Rubber, hoses and belts are all in excellent condition.

So glad I signed up here. As you are at 98,000 miles on your Jag, I see you are an expert in these very complicated V12 engines. *You guys are definitely the experts! Many, many thanks!!

George

Hi George:

Bummer, on Sept. 16 I signed up for the annual show of the Delaware British Car Club (In Delaware City), otherwise, I probably would have crossed the bridge and come to the NJ shore…

Perhaps another opportunity will present itself. I’d love to see your beauty and meet you.

Steve