New owner quick question

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 1990 XJS V12 convertible, just had it one day and now the top is struggling to come up.

I am hoping a little lubrication of the visible joints without having to dive into the motor and gears will do the trick, the side windows go up and down well.

Any tips are appreciated, this is my first jag,

Thank you

Check the reservoir in the boot, above the battery. Does it have enough fluid?

Welcome to JL!

Steve,
Hector stated that he has a 1990 XJ-S convertible and in his car the hydraulic pump and fluid Reservoir for the convertible top are located in the storage area located behind the front seats. In the later face-lift cars (1992-1996) with the 2+2 configuration the convertible top pump and reservoir was relocated to the trunk (boot) to make room for those little seats. I agree that a first step would be to check that there is sufficient fluid in the pump reservoir.

Paul

make sure ground wiring etc is good… does pump seem to run well but no action

Hector,
Do you have the Drivers Manual for your car, or the XJ-S Repair Operations Manual (ROM)? These documents have a great deal of useful information about including info about the XJ-S convertible top servicing and repair. Other good documents to own incude the S57 Electrical Guide and the XJ-S Parts Catalogue. When I purchased our XJ-S convertible in 2005 the Drivers Manual came with it. I purchased hard copies of the other documents on eBay. They are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. Another good document to have is Kirby Palm’s “Experience in a Book” that you can download for free on Jag-Lovers.

Paul

yes the motor works and the side windows go up and down, it just gets stuck a bit in the middle, it is not an electrical problem

Got it, I know where the relays are in that location, recently replaced the relay that operates one of the side widows, I will check the fluid level, thanks

Paul
I will definitely get those manuals, In the past I always found the Haynes repair books super helpful but I have not had an old car in a few years.

the last owner did have the electrical guide and parts catalogue .

Thank you very much for the feedback,

I know it is heresy, but I probably do an LS3 conversion eventually, need more horsepower and better gas mileage LOL. The design and stance of this car are among the best I have ever seen , absolutely gorgeous, gets more beautiful every day. I guess I am still in the honeymoon period.

Really look forward to get to know you all, you have been super helpful already . I am in west Texas by the way. Middle of nowhere, so I have to do everything on my own . Thank God for ebay and amazon.

Hector