New pictures: Complaints

Site feedback.
I hate the new AI pictures, especially of the XJ. They are so bad.

It’s very off and it looks terrible being a square photo as well. Many parts distorted and just plain wrong! A terrible idea, sorry. Who signed this off?
The car of Lyons himself was the best possible choice either way.
Please go back or improve drastically, and ideally it would be the same perspective on all cars and no background (including the windows, so it looks like they were shot without background. White in light mode and dark in dark mode).
Nice would be how ebay does it, for example. Or the X300 title photo.

There’s just so many things wrong with the XJ creation that it’s hard to say where to begin even… so many good pictures available and then choose to exchange a good picture for this??

…the press photos are another good choice and copyright free too…… maybe somewhat similar for all models?

@gunnar @Nick please hurry, I‘m in pain and can’t be the only one.

Feel free. You can upload them to this thread. They need to be in 1:1 format (square), at least 1024 px x 1024 px/96 dpi, and we need pics for every category.

I‘ll try. In the meantime, could you please revert to the old ones?

Sorry, no, for reasons that will soon become apparent.

1 Like

Okay. I‘ll wait for others suggestions though and I’m sure many have great pictures that would fit very well. We should set rules (say same angle for every car, and original condition) and I can then run a contest in each category and the winner is modified to fit as a title picture. I‘ll be happy to do that.

This is also not working.

Why square, new requirement?

David, the E-type is worse. :frowning:

Well sure, the XJ has wheels that should bot exist and a few other problems, my 1st impression was that JLR had forbidden to use the real looking great pics/icons you have had here for at least sa decade. IMO.

Cheers!

1 Like

The E is horrible, too, absolutely (but I think the XJ is worse, maybe because I know it better, maybe because there’s more to go wrong - and maybe it‘s because it is cut off left and right), and so is Classifieds - I‘m afraid it’s just Gunnar experimenting against all good taste. The pictures could have been improved upon, but were absolutely fine. This makes me sick. There would be better solutions, and I can’t see Jaguar not allowing it.
Here’s how ebay does it:

I‘ll sign out until the pictures are either back to or better than what they were. Can’t bear it, and I am very disappointed. See you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Gunner I rather like the idea of a change. Never realized how boring the old pics were .
Kinda like everyone hating on the cyber truck.
Positively makes all the other truck makes look old and frumpy

2 Likes

Gunnar, I like the colors and contrasts.

Can they be bigger, maybe just wider?

Seems like there’s a thread on that. I’ll take a look.

1 Like

I’m not one resisting change, but there were so may disturbing wrong details in the pics. Now the new XJ icon looks perfect. :+1:

But the E-type icon still has a lot of weird anomalies. Maybe it gets better.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, no. I’m about to introduce a whole new look to the forums (a new “theme”), and for it to work the images have to be square.

Besides, that always bothered me with the old images. They were constrained to the same height, but the width varied. And that was because I just threw something together, as a temporary fix, when we moved to this new forum software.

That “temporary” fix lasted 8 years, time to shake things up a little.

2 Likes

That’s because it’s no longer made by AI. I spent far too much time on it lat night only to be back to square one. I don’t want “accurate” images, I want emotive images.

Anyway, that one was created by hunting the interwebs for a good image of an XJ, which is incredibly hard to find. Yes, the prettiest sedan ever made, yet good pictures are hard to find. That’s partly because I don’t want to isolate just the car (remove the background), I want an image that represents the car. Setting, background, colors, everything. Does that make sense?

When I finally found that image, I had to fix it in Photoshop, which takes me a long time because I’m not a graphic designer or artist. And finally I used Lightroom to bring out the colors and create the “illustration” effect.

End result: I don’t like it. But I’m glad you do. Just don’t get too attached to it, because if I find or am able to create something more in line with what I want, it’ll be gone. :wink:

But why does that matter? I truly don’t get it. To my mind, it’s unmistakably an E-Type, even if it’s “wrong” in some respects.

I don’t know if you saw, but I said elsewhere that I was going for a certain vibe. “Sean Connery’s Monte Carlo of the early 1960s.” The current image doesn’t really convey that, but the car is more “correct” than in previous iterations.

Maybe I should try to make the images look more like paintings. No one expects a painting to be 100% accurate.

1 Like

Since we’re having Festivus style airing of the grievances, I was wondering why the Lounge looks like a Mario convention after defeating Donkey Kong.

I kind of like the E-type though.

1 Like

This (the first image I tried) is much more in line with what I wanted to see. It’s not correct, but I don’t care. It’s pretty and it does give that vibe I was going for. The extra turn signals are a little much though, I have to admit.

Here’s a new version of the current E-Type picture. More colors, more light. What do you guys think?

3 Likes

:laughing:

You’re right, it’s terrible. I asked the AI to show a group of auto mechanics in a lounge, and this was the result. I’ll work on it next.

What do you guys think of the new Classifieds image? I just updated it a few minutes ago.

Also: Jaguar News (my favorite), E-Pace, F-Pace, I-Pace, F-Type? All AI.

1 Like

Same question I have, the only answer I can come up with is purism. As you say these pictures are emotive not necessarily schematically correct.

Seems a lot of folks are huffing and puffing over something that simply doesn’t matter that much. I appreciate the effort that you’re putting into it, because I’ve tried to do Photoshop… There’s a reason I don’t!

Hi,

Sure. I made CG for a living for more than two decades.

My daughters do real and computer art. It is not easy, AI is still far from cutting it. It may be closer to some regarding text and music. But not to some.

Cheers!

I think not. Some ears are not that sensitive to false notes. Some are. We ’re all different.

Cheers!