New power antenna installation

Hello,
I am installing a new power antenna into an 81 xj6 that currently just has a non power antenna. The antenna was purchased from one of the major suppliers and looks like one supplied from several others. It has the antenna mast and then has a fairly remote motor. Mounting the mast portion seems pretty straight forward as I just popped out the right rear tail light and mounted it there.

The problem is that I can’t figure out where the motor should be mounted. It can’t go beside the mast because there simply is not room. So where do you mount it so it does not look like a cluster. I should mention that this car is immaculate inside and out so I need to mount it where it will be clean in appearance

thanks
Kevin

Kevin,

the question is, how long is your connection from the mast to the motor? In my car the aftermarket antenna motor is located in the space below the trunk where the fuel pumps are mounted.

Original SII location is to the left side of the trunk.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Jochen is right on all points, Kevin - particularly about the necessary length of the conduit…

The tricky bit; the extension is threaded through a hole in the boot side together with the antenna cable. Actually, the antenna and conduit must be threaded up from the boot - then the antenna mounted to the chassis. Great(!) care must be taken, as the conduit is a very vulnerable, Bowden type, and must not be kinked…

I’m not sure whether the electric antenna was an option in 81 - in which case the mounting points and wiring may be in place for easy fitting. If not; some work is required for proper mounting and wiring.

Question; has the motor got built-in relays - otherwise a special relay will be required…

Even replacing an existing electric antenna is sometimes awkward…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The stock power antenna on a Series III mounts right next to the fuel pump under the deck, where the spare tire lives, closest to the boot opening. If memory serves me, I believe they share the same bolt for grounding the fuel pump The drive for the mast is pretty long (like nearly a half a meter long), again if memory serves me, the drive for the mast snakes through the body up starting behind the bumper, then up the rear wing behind the tail light. Unlike an XJS where the motor, drive and mast are conveniently one tidy little unit.

My '85 Series III has a cooked power antenna. It’s been that way for the last 5 years. In the scheme of things (for me); it’s not the way I want to spend the better part of a day fishing a pull wire/rod through the body in order to replace the antenna motor, which I’ve had for about 4.5 years. I don’t listen to the radio when I’m driving, I’m listening for things falling off the car :wink: