New rebuild, lost oil pressure

(Joe Frazier) #22

Update: I have rigged up a control panel to start the engine. I’ll take a picture later. Engine started right up and showed oil pressure. So failure to prime at starter speed was the issue. Thanks for the tips! I had to shut down soon after start when the new spin-on filter adapter sprung a leak after oil pressure reached 20 psi. After I get that sorted out I will fill the radiator with water and run the engine up to temp. The engine sounded great for the brief time it ran. Very satisfying to hear it purrrr after a lengthy rebuild.

(Nigelplug) #23

Hi Joe
Glad to here the good news! I recently rebuilt a bare 5.3 for a Ronart special.
The garage fitted it in the car and couldn’t get oil pressure. They told me they’d flattened 2 batteries trying to get the oil pressure. I went there this morning and discovered they hadn’t even removed the spark plugs! After less than 10 secs running it had 65psi.

(Phil.Dobson) #24

Do yourself a favour and put the oil filter adaptor on the shelf and refit the original oil filter asemby!

(Kirbert - author of the Book, former owner of an '83 XJ-S H.E.) #25

Actually, I might suggest replacing your oil filter head with a filter head from a newer model XJ-S, which used a spin-on. Whether it would run into anything in your car, I dunno. Note that the early XJ-S filter head had issues and would distort over time, and later versions were sturdier but it also switched between bypass cooling and full-flow cooling, you’d have to figure out what would work for you.

(Joe Frazier) #26

I think I have the issue with the new filter adapter corrected, so I will stay with this setup for now. Is there a problem with the SNG spin-on filter adapter? My research led me to believe that it was the way to go. I have set up the control panel to run the engine. Cooling system is complete. I looped the hose connected in place of the heater. Wired directly to the coil, fuel pump and fans through switches. Chokes will be manipulated separately and manually. I will fill the system with water and hope I am sorted out. I will not be able to take the next steps until later this week. In the meantime, here is a picture of the current setup. Let me know if I am missing something. The engine has been fired up briefly without water in the system. I will be upgrading the starter to a modern high-torque version.

(Kirbert - author of the Book, former owner of an '83 XJ-S H.E.) #27

I personally wouldn’t be running it without air filters, but that’s just me.

(Kirbert - author of the Book, former owner of an '83 XJ-S H.E.) #28

Vertical-flow radiator! If only the later cars had that. Soooo much grief and heartache could have been avoided!

(Paul Wigton) #29

For the wee bit it’ll run, no harm will come to the engine: now, if the intent is to tune mixture, yep, air filters should be fitted.

(Mark Eaton) #30

Nice one Joe!

I have run some engines I have been working on without coolant for a few seconds. Maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Enough time to tell if it idles and if the idle is smooth etc. I have not observed any problems. There does not appear to be enough heat generated in that time frame (and it’s under no load). The purists might disagree.

I had my MkII Jag stolen from outside my house once. I had been working on it and had the radiator disconnected, foolishly thinking no one in their right mind would steal a half assembled car. The thief was not in their right mind. They drove it probably about 6 to 7 km to a rough housing area where it was abandoned (I assume they went direct and not for a joy ride). I guess somewhere from 5 to 10 minutes. I was a penniless student and assumed the engine would be stuffed. But when I recovered the car, I just added coolant and found I could drive it home. That engine died some years later with a split piston crown on the rear cylinder after a long trip. But it also ran lean due to problems with the SU carbs. So I was never sure which did the damage. Perhaps a bit of both.

(Kirbert - author of the Book, former owner of an '83 XJ-S H.E.) #31

SWMBO wants to know if you’re married.

(Joe Frazier) #32

That’s a clown question, bro.