New respect for a "stupid little sponge"

So I was out messing with my 93 XJS convertible, I’m pretty close to putting it on the road, even though it still needs paint, and is far from perfect. I was trying to clean some of the neglected leather, which has some probable mildew spots here and there. No I didn’t go full clean yet as I am still working on stuff. I had a rag and my meguiers gold leather clean and protect spray and needless to say i wasnt getting very far. My wife came home and asked how it was going and I said “ok just not coming as clean as I want”. She asked if I wanted to try a “magic eraser”. Now you have to understand that ever since she started buying them, I’ve thought it a ridiculous product, and have scoffed at the thought of them “being needed”. I said I don’t know if it’ll work with the grain in the leather, and she said she used them on the plastic in the van and it worked. I said ok. She brought me one and had pre-dampened it slightly, to the point I asked if she actually wet it. She said the only downfall is that it can leave streaks. I said that’s ok, I’ll just wipe it with the rag and cleaner. Needless to say it may have changed my opinion of them! My driver’s sun visor was covered in spots and smudges, and I gave it a tight circular wipe. HOLY CRAP! IT ALL CAME OFF IN ONE GO! I did a little more and then wiped it with the rag and cleaner! NICE! I started to dampen the eraser with the leather cleaner and it worked extremely well. I am tempted to tear my interior apart and do it all! Lol :grin:. My passenger side sun visor wasn’t as bad, and I had gone over it with the leather cleaner once, but here are a couple of pictures! Please excuse the rest of the interior lol :grin:

2 Likes

They are simple melamine foam. Cheap! It’s also used as insulation material and I got a few square metres stowed away (for free!).
Be careful as they are slightly abrasive, don’t use them too often on plastic, vinyl and especially paint. They will scratch.
They are exceptional at cleaning windows and glass from bugs or anything really. I use them for everything.
David

2 Likes

The important question: figured out a way to apologize to SWMBO?

:wink:

1 Like

I tried it on seat back and the spotty look disappeared… …yahooo- whoopee… something simple that works

1 Like