New Seal sunroof

Boys… i’m searching a new seal for sunroof of my xj40 '87…it’s impossible!!!

There’s one on ebay. com. au. Australia.

Please give me a direct link…:grin:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201961226899

Ok …with this code BCC2421 i found many in UK…but why in Jaguar Classic Part has It a different code?? Is it for XJ40? :thinking:

The ad says it is for a series III -

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C06.C0682.C0682376.C06823765629/brand/jaguar/

Looks different to the XJ40 -

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C01.893.89382.89382376.893823764356/brand/jaguar/

For this I ddn’t find it…it’s not for XJ40. And now? :ridendo: :ridendo:

I can’t find any availability of that seal (seat?) BDC5374.

I guess that in extremis you could use a thick sealant to glue the sunroof permanently closed. :frowning:

Perhaps another forum member can suggest something less drastic -perhaps retrieving one from a wrecked car?

1 Like

Hi Max, you could try SealExco they are seal makers and have lots of seal profiles in stock, if you have a look on their site you might find something suitable.https://sealextrusions.com/collections/automotive-seals-parts?
Good luck.

Another possible source is Steele Rubber Products:

Steele Rubber Products - Dense Rubber Extrusion By The Foot

No affiliation, not even a customer, just seen their ads on the Saturday morning car shows on TV.

guys … I have to solve, my coachbuilder has dismantled the roof and tried to register it above … below … back and forth … nothing! for 1 mm the water enters the back. the seal has shrunk by age! how do I get it done? I should take it apart and send it … possible there is no adaptable gasket crap? i read on xj40.com that i have the same roof as the land rover … so?

The furflex seal does NOT seal out water, mostly air. It should slow the water ingress so the drain channels can divert to drain tubes and onto the ground.

The seal it not waterproof but a gap might let too much to be drained away?

Here are some TSBs for the X300 sedan that might hepl with the earlier cars?

13-05 Sliding Roof Seal Crimping Tool.pdf (28.9 KB)
13-11 Water Ingress – Sliding Roof.pdf (137.0 KB)

1 Like

young people … I am struggling with the infiltration of the roof! they are not the drains clogged … simply the gasket in a couple of points does not do its job and I think that some white plastic clips on the rear are broken due to a previous disassembly of the roof. I bought the clips and I’m thinking of removing the canopy and turning the gasket upside down. what are you saying? my seal for my87 does not exist in the world!

I realise that this is a pretty old thread, however I am sure the problem has not gone away. there is a seal for a S3. It is different to the XJ40, it is bigger and the rear of the seal is different.What I am now going to do because I have found the differences and you need to buy 2 of them.
1: you need to cut one of them on what I call the back side of the seal on the bend as close as you can to the change in the seal, the part with no flange.
2:The second seal needs to be cut at the same place, make sure it is exactly the same place. to avoid confusion, remove the part that has no flange completely.
3: This is where it can be a little tricky, place the corner piece in place, using soft clamps to hold it in place. Then put the other corner piece in the other side, you should have a flanged piece now going accross to the first corner piece. Cut it to length and using a good quality rubber glue, and glue the 2 pieces together. Be sure to use soft clamps and the small metal retainer to help hold it in the right place.
4: you should now have a long flanged piece with no corner piece. Once again using the seal retainer and soft clamps, gently position the seal all the way around to the corner piece. Make sure it is all sitting where it needs to be before you make this last cut, this will need to be glued to the corner piece, let this cure properly before you try to disturb it. By cutting it on the corner pieces you will not have any really noticeable joins, and will now have a new rubber seal. You may want to lightly sand the joins for a better finished look.
This may seem like a bit of stuffing around, but if you want that seal new this is one way you can achieve your goals, as you already know the XJ40 is just not readilly available.