New seals for heated rear window

Anyone bought/fitted one of these recently?

I just opened up the package for the one which arrived last week to discover that it doesn’t have any holes to feed the wires through. The original seal fed the wires though like this:

I don’t mind having to punch a hole myself. It may be that the wires aren’t always in exactly the same place, but I would object if the only difference between the heated and normal backlight seal is the 10$ price difference!

Are the heated screens thicker than the unheated ones?

Hi Andrew,

Just checked my car for you, and there are no visible pinched holes; the wires emerge from under the seal so I’m assuming the aperture for them is inner glass side within the trench of the seal.

JCC

Thanks, I checked the one supplied to see if they just had a slot formed (which would seem to be a better approach than having a hole. Nix, nada.

Perhaps the rubber lip is larger for the HRW seals, or the glass is thicker (but it would have to be quite a bit thicker to warrant making two different rubber profiles, methinks).

Took about 2 hours to put both screens in. (Just screens, no lockstrip and no sealant yet.)

Lockstrip went in in about 20 min each. This was just a test to see if the seal wasn’t too squished, amd if the tool still works… It’s gone so easy so far I’m almost afraid to go and get the chrome to see if it fits…

So, I’ve retrieved and cleaned up all the chrome, fitted the NDV seals to the door frames, the wiper strips to the outer chrome beads, and checked the fit of the screen trims. So far the other shoe hasn’t dropped yet - I must have missed something.

Which is easier for fitting the front screen trim, fit the inner lip all around first, or the outer? Walking along fitting the inner and outer would seem likely to move the chrome strip along.

I’ve no idea but you are doing well.

Fitting the front chrome trim was a bear of a job. I installed it without glue, just to check that I can actually get it in. My thumbs were tired, so I’ve taken a break and installed the door chromes, front glass and frames and NDVs.

I’ll finish off the rear door glass and frames tomorrow, then have a go at gluing the screen trims in.

I really hope that the Teroson RB 4100 non hardening sealer I used actually seals… it’s all over the place - me, my tools, the car, the glass.

I used an air powered caulking gun. This makes laying a consistent bead in a controlled manner very easy.