New shocks, what a difference!

Finally i decided to replace the front shocks on my XJ12 series 2 and what a difference it has made! I knew that the old ones were pretty old but didn’t think that they were this bad!
I made a video in case someone here wants to do the same to their car. It really made a huge difference!

3 Likes

I held the stud with vise grips and removed one after another with a wrench, but I have a 6- more space.

I started using this technique after i only wanted to replace the top bushing on my XJS since the shocks were fine. This was the method I came up with that will not damage the shock if you want to re-use it.

I use a shock absorber socket

shock%20absorber%20socket

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

I have replaced the front springs a few times, but have hired out the special Jaguar tool, the large threaded bar with various attachments.
It works but if you don’t have a lift or a pit, you need to get the front of the car up very high.
Anyone changed front springs on a series 1 or 2 xj with generic coil Spring compressors, the type with hooks on the ends?
Yes, I have done the trolley Jack under the spring pan method, undo the bolts, let the Jack down quickly and run method, but am older and wiser these days.

Considering the importance of good shocks, the ease of rough testing and the simplicity of replacement, Adam - there is no excuse for suffering bad handling from bad shocks…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

David, I don’t think it can be done that way. There just isn’t room to get that type of spring compressor in there.

The way I did it is using threaded rods. You can find a write up and photos in the ‘Front Suspension’ section of this page: http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/index.html#Front%20Suspension

Be careful! Those springs are massive and very powerful.

David

BTDT numerous times using various methods. The 4-threaded-rods method is the only way to fly, IMO.

Cheers
DD

I will have to get one of those and try next time. Guess I will need to buy another Jaguar then too :smiley:

I know I should of changed them earlier Frank but the last couple of years I didn’t have access to a good place to work. Now I finally have a workshop again, a small one right now and I’m building a much larger one next to it. I took the car for a test drive yesterday and the handling did really change. Feels like I can go as fast as I want into corners now.

I plan on tryinf the 4-threaded-rods method when I take my springs out. I mostly need too since the bumpstops that sit down there have perished on my car.

Thanks for all replies.
I have used the three threaded rods method before, but when you compare it to the special tool which the Jaguar Enthusists Club hire out, the rods seem a little flimsy. I made my own tool once by cutting up an old wheel changing Jack for the thick threaded rod in the middle, and made up my own attachments top and bottom. It worked, but it bent like a bannana.

Indeed, Adam - the shocks prevents the wheels from bouncing, resisting sudden changes in vertical wheel motion. It’s more about eliminating bumps steer…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I finally went for a test drive after replacing the shocks and my car feels really different! It was a great improvement! Video of it below.

Just wondering if there is a way, on this sit,e to “save” a particular thread or part of. This thread, as an example, would e wonderful to have in a personal library. Thank you.
Phillip

Phillip,
All the posts are saved in the archives. They have been for decades. You can search them any time you want to. I use the archives regularly. Does that help?

Paul

Yes, I know the archives are there but it sometimes becomes quite cumbersome to find a particular thread with the search.
Thank you,
Phillip,

You can Like, Bookmark or Flag a post Phillip.
Click on the three dots (besides the Reply button) and you will see the options.

Ok! I will give that a go. Thank you.