New Stereo/Speakers Installed and then Detail with Ceramic Coating

Has anyone ever tried f11? I have a friend who wants to use some on my car. Older repaint - seemingly without a gloss clear coat.

Looks promising, John. I may not have enough time to do the ceramic finish before my next tour and this looks like it might be a good choice for the interim. Thanks!

ā€“Drew

None that I noted. It may act similar to rainex.

Megiuarā€™s Hybrid Ceramic Wax does streak glass, so if some washes off on to the glass portions of the car, you need to polish it off with a cloth. I was really impressed with its water repellent effects, especially considering the relative ease of application.

Iā€™ve applied it to my daily drivers (including one that is parked outside almost all the time) and Iā€™ll find out how durable and lasting the product is it is before long. Because itā€™s so easy to apply with each wash, it only needs to last a month or so for my daily driver needs, but hopefully it will be longer lived than that.

Dave

How about the chrome? Any issues with getting it on the chrome?

My main interest in the ceramic is for paint protection, not just shine. I pick up huge amount of bugs driving through West Texas and they stick like glue and require bug remover and a polish to get them all off. Doing it again in September.

ā€“Drew

Thereā€™s no particular smudging problem with chrome, other than what you normally might see if some wax-like protectant smears on it without being buffed off. Probably not as bad, since it doesnā€™t dry to a whitish residue. Itā€™s easy to remove the smears - not like you need degreaser cleaner to deal with it.

I donā€™t know if this stuff is the answer to the problem youā€™re looking to solve - in my region (Pacific Northwest, west of the Cascades) bugs are a minor problem even at night in the summer. Iā€™ll have to take a trip east of the mountains to see. But Iā€™m not sure this relatively inexpensive ā€œceramicā€ product is equal to what the expensive ceramic coating products claim to do.

Hopefully it is, but I really view it as a super wash and wax product that actually works (leaves a coating that truly repels water, indicating it is actually coating the paint.)

The product that might really be what youā€™re looking for is something like Griotā€™s Garage Bug Barricade. I used its predecessor Bug-Off and it was very helpful in making it easy to clean off dead bugs with just soap and sponge (type with the non-marring string-like scrubbing surface.) The anti-bug product needs to be applied fairly regularly though - I used to reapply it after each cleaning. https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/bug+barricade.do?from=Search&cx=0

Dave

Hello, All. Nice thread on radio, A/C and ceramic wax. As a comparison, hereā€™s my Light Blue 1971 Series 3 2+2 with original now working A/C, a vintage working British Leland AM-FM radio and modern JL speakers placed like the OPā€™s on the side panels behind the front seats, which is the original location for Series 3 cars. Like yours, the car and A/C are so loud at speed that I just leave it off. To me the beauty of the light blue, or any other light color, is that the beautiful lines of these cars stand out. Iā€™m going to try the Meguia

rs ceramic wax.

1 Like

I buffed any smears off of the chrome, and it seems to make the chrome shinier. That was about as difficult as buffing off the haze of Motherā€™s Chrome Polish, i.e., not very hard at all. Iā€™m debating whether to remove the wire wheels and use the stuff on them. Maybe it will allow brake dust to be simply hosed away.

As for the glass, I went over all the glass with sprayway glass cleaner so I have no streaking there.

Meguiarā€™s claims the product is as durable and long lasting. The link I posted earlier has multiple pages of questions with responses by Meguiarā€™s tech people. Iā€™d expect them to be touting how wonderful their product is, but then again, Iā€™ve never been disappointed with their products.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Iā€™ve used it on both cars. They look like they are wet.

2 Likes

Thanks John. Wow. Gorgeous cars and garage as well. Iā€™m going to go buy some of this today.

ā€“Drew

1 Like

Gorgeous cars and garage as well. Iā€™m going to go buy some of this today.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Drew. (Whispers: Walmart $14 :grinning: )

Cool. I was about to order from Amazon when I saw the Walmart price, John. In stock at my closest one. Headed there shortly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

John,
This is what I use on my chrome wheels. Spray it on, let it soak very briefly, then wash it off. It really makes the chrome shine. Not for aluminum.

Is there a specific name for your color blue, or is it simply ā€œLight Blueā€? Also, for which years was that blue available?
And ā€¦ it looks great.

Yes, the color is simply, Light Blue. I believe it was available from 1968+, but Iā€™m not sure if/when they stopped.

1 Like

Thanks Drew. Iā€™ve used that stuff in the past. Works great. Iā€™m waiting to see if this ceramic stuff allows brake dust to just be hosed off without any human effort.

Thanks, David. Very nice color. Not the run-of-the-mill.

Carlo,

You might find this reference document interesting: http://www.xkedata.com/catalog/colors/

-David

2 Likes

David,
I do, indeed. Bookmarked, and thank you.
Carlo

As an aside, the Light Blue and the Cotswold Blue appear very similar, almost the same, actually.

The article mentions that Light Blue and Cotswold Blue are similar colors. If you see them side by side there is a difference. The cotswold has a more grey hue. Cotswold was pretty popular on the earlier XK models and IMO a prettier color.

I think that example of Cotswold Blue on an E-Type is some way off. Maybe the lighting, the camera settings are to blame, but it look more like Light Blue to me. The example of Cotswold Blue in the XK section; http://www.xkdata.com/catalog/colors/ is more representative of the colour (of course, Iā€™m biased - itā€™s my carā€¦:grinning:)