New tires for the "R"

Sometimes the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

At the time of my XJR/6 ownership the tire selection in the size range I need was rather slim. All of the offerings were $200+each and none would deliver more than about 12K-14k miles tread life. I was driving 1500 miles/month. You see my dliemma. Spending nearly $1000 on tires every ten months.

The ultra low profile tires offer little protection against road hazards. I had to replace 2 or 3 tires that were damaged and had to have wheels repaired as well.

Then there’s the notorious XJR/6 tramlining. Depending on the specific tire this could range from a mild annoyance to near-terrifying. I wouldn’t let my kids drive the car if highway speeds would be involved. The taller profile tires eliminated the tramlining completely.

With the taller tires I did sacrifice a small amount of steering crispness.

As for maximum cornerning adhesion, well, I’m a somewhat agressive driver and I simply couldn’t drive the car fast enough thru the corners to lose grip with either the low or taller tires. I’d have to push the car to wayyyyy higher speeds thru the twisty stuff than I’d be comfortable with on public roads.

Cheers
DD

1 Like