New to Jaguar community

Hi all. I just bought my first Jaguar, an 84 XJS, though I am not new to British cars having had everything from Riley to Rover 2000. My last British car was a 1966 Cortina Mk1. I was cruising Craigslist and found a well worn XJS and made a ridiculous offer that was accepted.
I now get to learn all about keeping up a V12, now I can say I have had vehicles with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 12 cylinders.
I look forward to learning from the community to bring this car up to snuff.

5 Likes

Mark,
Welcome to Jag-Lovers!
Unfortunately you are on the wrong list. The XJ list is for the Series I, II, and III XJ6s and XJ12s. The XJ-S list is for the XJ-S coupes, cabriolets, and convertibles. Try posting over on the XJ-S list.

Paul

Need any parts?

I have 6 of the buggers!

1 Like

Hello Mark - there is a free book here, called “Experience in a Book” that will be of great help - there are short outlines for quick help, and of course thorough reading is great (I keep forgetting to use it and was just reminded today about it) - welcome and you will find that there is a lot of knowledgeable willing people on here - Tex Terry, II = 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 1/27/2021 2142hrs. EST USA.

windshield wiper motor for 84 XJS

Thank you VERY much, I just downloaded the book.
I’m not sure what kind of can of worms I just got into, but I just bought this running but rough 84 XJS for $800. It seems ok I’ll do all the deferred service and new tires. What can possible go wrong??

Welcome to the forums Mark. I have moved the thread to the correct one.

1 Like

Oh… you’ll find out!

I only have Rover parts.

1 Like

LOL, I did what you did two years ago. Although i spent $2000 for an 88. (body was excellent).

Read my thread two years ago “I’m at a wall”. That was my tormented boot camp on learning this beast. But two years later, im quite happy to see how much I’ve learned and how the car is running.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I guess we’ll all learn together… :grinning: Welcome!

Wow! That’s less than $70 per cylinder. Quite a lot of bang for every buck. I wish you luck, although patience and the workshop manual (and lots of tools) is all you need.

I’ve never owned an XJ-S, but half a dozen other Jaguars and I can say that starting that V12 and hearing it burst to life is something I never get tired of.

Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome Mark.

Read the Book very carefully, and before anything else:
Change the fuel hoses on the injectors - Fire
Change fuel filter - It’s clogged
Do the centrifugal advance service - It’s stuck
Change spark plugs - Most probably A6 and B6 are the ones from the factory
Take the radiator out for a clean and check it’s condition/flow.- It’s blocked internally and externaly.
Replace yellow fan and I would recommend the viscous clutch as well (Hayden). - It’s full of cracks and ready to explode.
Put a flushing T on the heater hose. - If you ever want to have an air free cooling system.
Clean and adjust the throttle bodies and throttle linkages. - Lumpy idle.
Check the Water and Air Temp sensors.- For good measure.
Buy a spare GM module for the ignition amplifier. For very good measure.
Change transmission fluid, filter, pan gasket and transmission mount bushing. - Pretty sure it has never been done, and you will find out why when you do it.

All these are easy and inexpensive if you do the work your self and and trust me, if you don’t do them now you will be forced by nature to do them very shortly…
By then you will have a better idea of the beast and can start on the more complicated stuff, if there is any…
Any evident problems with the engine/transmission?
How is the body and interior?
Best of luck.

2 Likes

And check the bushes for the throttle linkages they will probably need replacements.

Thank you very much!

Post some photos of the old girl…

I have joined many on line car forums Porsche 911, Porsche Macan, Porsche 944, Cortina Mk1, TR3, but I have never had the outpouring of support that I have received from this group! I am over whelmed and even though I can’t stop feeling that “misery loves company” I appreciate all that you have written and reached out to me. This is the best $800 I have ever spent, and the car does run great. Starts quickly, all gages register normal, it stops well, steering is tight and no rust to speak of, just faded paint worn interior and a whole lot of things I have not found yet. But find them I will and I"ll drive her with a grin on my face.

Thank you all for the support.
Photos coming

2 Likes

jag3 jag1 jag2

Mark, Welcome! Great car…Pre face lift XJS have a warm spot in my heart they have some great old school features which seem to come back around in style.
Enjoy the car and the group!
gtjoey1314
How did you get the exhaust pipes up the middle like and ETYPE?
:slight_smile:

You could add a seven cylinder airplane engine

1 Like

That’s all I could think of, a redial