New to the Jag life

Im new to the jaguar life. I just got a 88 xj6 in mint condition. Is there anything special I shoukd know about these cars? I love the car best one of my life so far!!

Don,
Welcome to Jag-Lovers. Unfortunately you are on the wrong list. This list is for the Series I, II and III XJ6s and XJ12s. Your XJ6 was an entirely new model introduced in the late 1980s (1988 in the USA, earlier in other parts of the world) referred to by the project code XJ40 that Jaguar used for it during development.
Post over on the Jag-Lovers XJ40 list where your model is discussed and I am certain that someone there will help you.

Paul

2 Likes

Labled XJ6, but as an 88, it is actually an XJ40. The last “real” xj6 left Coventry in 87…

Only a slight resemblance to the cars seen here.

check the XJ40 forum.

Carl

2 Likes

And as an owner of both, left the flames begin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t let these guys BS you, The XJ40 is the first modern Jag. Try a Series III on and note the different (old fashioned) feel.

2 Likes

It looks beautiful. Same colour as my XJ40. I now have an X Type Estate.

I did have a problem with it going through jurat’s, (the flexible coupling between the drive shaft and the differential) but that was resolved when it was discovered that the bearing in the drive shaft hanger was worn out. The rumbling, I had put down to road noise since I had bought the car, disappeared.

I loved taking the car on trips, because it was so quiet and smooth. Up to that time, it was the most comfortable car I had ever driven. At the end of a trip, you’d get out feeling as relaxed as when you got in. Handles great on ice and snow, as long as you have good, ice rated winter tires. I put a rack on the roof and used it as a ski car. Trunk will hold two sets of golf clubs or one set and a pull cart. It was my daily driver.

Does your car have the quad lights or the Euro style?

Not sure what you mean by the quad lights or euro lights. She has a few minor issues but i love it!!!

1 Like

Four round lights

aka the brick - one rectangular lens on each side

Ive got the quad lights

Some states the euros were illegal and not dot approved until later, my 92 had them.
The car looks wonderful…The XJ40 has its quirks but after all these years, its held up.
Enjoy the ride!
gtjoey1314

1 Like

BTW this needs to be moved to the XJ40 list.

Robin,
I agree since this string has nothing to do with the cars discussed on this list. I mentioned that about a week ago.

Paul

How do i move it? I will im srry guys

I moved it for you assuming you wanted it moved. If not let me know and I can move it back.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, its in the right place now.

Thank you for the help

Replacing the lens/reflectors when they get cracked or broken is quite pricey. I would recommend getting Jaguar headlight protectors, if they are still available.

1 Like

They are, I just checked although the part number has been superseded and the parts updated, like this:

eyebrow

1 Like

Don,
I don’t believe users can move their posts from one list to another but that the list Admins must do that if it becomes necessary.
I recommend that rather than bothering the Admins about this string that we just let the string end naturally and when you post the next time on Jag-Lovers that you post over on the XJ40 list where your very different model is discussed.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks everyone and again srry i posted in the wrong place. You all are very helpful so thank you!