New to the Jag life

No big deal, your thread is on the XJ40 forum now and we can all see it.

Looks like I might be able to do that, no idea how to though.

Wake up guys, itā€™s already done.

2 Likes

I realise that, merely commenting on the fact that it looks as though I was supposed to be able to move the post here.

1 Like

Yes we can, scroll all the way up, click on the edit button next to the title and select the proper category. I like the quad lights more, somehow.
What are the minor issues?

1 Like

Series III is the last real Jag? SMH. The XJ40 was the last car Sir William Lyons had influence on. Although retired he was a regular visitor to the design studio giving styling advices and he saw a completed car before he died in 1985.

2 Likes

Not I - who wants a jag to look like a BMW?

The US/Canada fitment Hella lamps are the epitome of the XJ40 style.

Thatā€™s where my ā€žaffectionā€œ must be from thenā€¦ yeah I can see that.

Absolutely right Joe. The XJ40 was under development as far back as the late 70s. Sir William Lyons was involved throughout the entire development. Jaguar were finally replacing the xk engine that had powered all the various models and they were determined to get it right. The XJ40 is probably the most researched and developed car Jaguar ever built. The only thing that let it down was the quality of some of the electrical components supplied by outside companies. I might be wrong but I think the XJ40 was, and still is the most successful car they have made to date ?

2 Likes

David, Jerry, thanks, I must be going blind, I see the pen now, noted about the classified no-no. Thanks

Casso
Donā€™t push itšŸ˜ƒ
The XJ40 was the worst car in terms of warranty claims before and after to this day!
The underpinnings became the great x300
It was dated from day one with electronics but nowadays itā€™s a charming grand touring car 1991 to the end were much better
The early Tokyo dash as it was called and auto seat belt strangulater were terrible
But a nice car no matter what year sorted out still has charm.
Yes metric wheels, exposed wires to water and a wayyyy under powered base motor is now charm
Gtjoey1314

In your dreams - that X300 is one ugly retro styled sucker

Larry
I love youā€¦
X300 saved Jaguar from the scrap heap under Ford
Thatā€™s history and fact
At that time retro was coming and the xk8 retro Etype
S type retro Mk2 as the X300 were SMASH hits
Jaguar could only dream of returning to those days
I liked my xj40ā€s NEW with the last of hand layer rugs but they were terrible in the warranty dept when Mercedes and Lexus destroyed the competition
Today an XJR VDP XJR all demand five to ten times any xj40 because they are bullet proof, yes old now but bullet proof
The xj40 has a place in history but enjoy it for what it was ā€¦they held up well .
Letā€™s see if I can find some old shots with experimental v12 xj40 picsšŸ˜„

Yes well retro styling is strictly for the folks who have no fresh ideas.

The XJ40 was original wheras the X300, successful as it was, just pandered to the old tried and true. A cop-out in design terms.

And yes I am an art critic.

I love them all, had them all, Jaguar was on top of its game during the period.
My 2018 xf sportbrake is great and my wifeā€™s F pace is great in terms of looks, but the materials arenā€™t as special.
I would take the inlay woodon any xj40 over any interior today that Jag has to offer.
Enjoy
GTJOEY1314

Look itā€™s my son 25 years ago! When I was young
Test driving an experimental v12 which would be in the soon to be x300
Then my x300 every secretary in town wanted a ride!
Grrr baby!
image|375x500

Gentlemen, gentlemen, and ladiesā€¦I recently learned of a 1994 XJ40 - and a couple of X300s - recentLY added to my local salvage yardā€¦looking to replace a few serviceable but not pristine bits on my car I invited my brother to join me in a Jag treasure hunt, and he readily accepted (we apparently have the same genetic defect)ā€¦we spent a couple of hours prowling the yard and reminiscing about doing the the same with our father some 60 years ago. came home with one side marker light lens. one rear fog light lens, the plastic catch for the center console cubby. and one boot trim retainer and a $12 lighter wallet. The point is, whether you are an XJ40 fan or an X300 fan or a fan of some other model, we are all fans of an endangered species and need to support one anotherā€¦peace and love to allā€¦

We all know the XJS is the real stunner haha my favorite is the 03 XKR coupe and 89 XJS. Had an XJS convertible for a lil bit. Hope to be able to afford both of them one day. I like other cars too but feel Jaguars are the most under appreciated and best value for the money

Nostalgia seems to force a response and hook me with a post such as this these daysā€¦

I was a kid in high school when these came out. Was restoring my 66 Mk2 at the time, my first carā€¦pre internet. Yeah think about THAT today.
Iā€™ve owned most models since, earliest being a MkVII, no, MkV that had a shoehorned XK motor in it. Never got that one going though.
Anyway, what can I say, i never thought Iā€™d live this long and wanted to try everything.

Now it too has become particularly sentimental for me and one is probably in my future also.

I balked at the XJ40 like most at the time. Never thought I would ever have an interest in it.
Funny, I can appreciate how people felt about the XJ-S when it came out to some degree.
I thought Jaguar is finished.

Visited the Jaguar dealership nearby all the time. Always visited this abandoned XK150 in the back lot. Things were more relaxed in those daysā€¦sigh.

They sure smelled like money and expensive inside the showroom. I think they were like the equivalent of $80k today.
Oooph. Iā€™ve just realizedā€¦ Iā€™m old enough now to remember when cars were new?! Scary.
Funny too how the smells are among the most memorable things with these cars for me.

It is really the last true Jaguar. Last of the old guard, in development secretly for ages, I want to say traces all the way back to the 70s from past reading.
They put everything into it. Jaguar was running on fumes at the time and it was their hail mary.
Also the final one Lyons put his input into and he apparently continued to visit the factory even in retirement and couldnā€™t stay away. So the stories goā€¦

As I see Jaguar and the car marketā€™s direction now, the Ford models, I believe it will be genuinely considered as such, and become the last true classic Jaguar.
I am glad to see they are beginning to steadily climb in acknowledgement, appreciation, and value recently. You couldnā€™t give them away a few years ago.

UTube has a great video on its development. Iā€™d download it before it disappears.

i have heard good things though about its comfort and refinement, and keep them on my radar during my continues Jaguar searchesā€¦ I donā€™t know why I do that. Iā€™m really a nut.
So I can have both the first and the last XJ6?..woohoo.

I particularly like the VDP version with the fluted grille/rear trunk plinth, and folding tables. The subtle feminine grille accents compliment the strong alpha squared edges imo.

The last truly handbuilt model(not such a great thing), and details that simply donā€™t exist on later cars.
In particular, I always note and remember that chrome ring trim when the doors are opened, which connects the side fascia to a vent.

Later x300 and later ones only sees damn stickers everywhere.

The leather quality of those and earlier models too is a thing of the past. Connolly leather.
Now it is paper thin and cardboard. I recall reading the details as to why the quality is so poor these days and on later cars, but canā€™t remember exactly at moment.
Something regarding cut, quality, not full grain, being paintedā€¦I dunno.

Anyway, those (your) early models (87-88) had reputed serious quality issues as they were rushed out prematurely, in part, so the story went I believe.

Electrical gremlins and weirdness, fragile door handle linkages which broke within the doors making one unable to open them, sagging rear auto leveling suspension (I believe) as can be noted on yoursā€¦
I believe the 3.6 did have a prone issue with head gasket and it would drip just over the distributor cap in particular. i recall reading that somewhere along the line.
Search the archives.
But i donā€™t believe the drivetrain was ever really a problem with these cars.

Things improved dramatically when Ford took over (in '89 I believe). Ford (John Egan) saved Jaguar.
I was in junior high at the time, and so obsessed, everyone knew me as the Jaguar kidā€¦I lived and breathed them.
In architecture class making calendars of the old models, others teased that I really just had a Ford now.

Advice? One should be a bit of a perfectionist with these cars, all old Jaguars. Keep it clean and sorted and it will serve you well.
Leave it sitting or ignore/abandon things, and it will be a nightmareā€¦so they say.
Some of the images i see of peopleā€™s engine bays when they post questions hereā€¦I think, no wonder theyā€™re having issues, etc.

And all of mine have been my daily driver since high school.

So much for memory lane.
Have fun.
Kind regards

1 Like

My first Jag was an XJ40; I then went to an X300.

I liked the XJ40ā€™s styling, where most people were dismissive of it. To my eye, it was a very clean, sleek, modern design. I still like it better than the X300 or the S III. Sliding between the S III and the XJ40, I was struck by how more modern the XJ40 felt.

The 4.0 l AJ6 engine was bullet proof and I believe was the only engine available in cars shipped to Canada.