New Tyres for my Xj6 Series 3 - XWX?

Hello everybody,

It’s time for new tyres :laughing:. The previous owner had some pirellis 217/70/15. However these tyres are from 2008. Surprisingly they have lots of thread but also lots of cracks. I’m thinking I need an upgrade. I’ve been looking at the Michelin XWX 217/70/15. My local DiscountTire called Michelin and said Michelin has discontinued this model. I found a seller on eBay that does sell them brand new. However they are about $450 each.

Has anyone tried them out on their xj6 before? Are they worth the price? I don’t mind paying for them if they’re worth it! :grinning:

They are worth every penny
If the date codes are current
It will transform your ride

Not worth it. Get Pirellis for $94 each. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons+ | P215/70R15 97T | Tire America

2 Likes

I got some Uniroyals after this happened. Pretty happy with them, though pretty much anything would have been better than the rather old tires that were on it when I bought the car.

Were those recaps/retreads

Those were Maypop tires!

1 Like

I’ve always been happy with Michelin tires; top grade stuff.

But $450 each? Yikes. If you’re comfortable with that amount of money I say “go for it” !

Personally I’d have a hard time justifying the expense. As good as they may be, are they 4x better than the others? And does your driving style/conditions dictate such a tire? If you’re a moderate driver I’m sure there are other high quality choices that would be 100% satisfactory for 25% of the money.

The XWX is a 70s vintage tire that was used on high-end sports cars mostly. It’s being reproduced today for the Ferrari/Maserati/Aston Martin crowd who want original type tires for their restorations.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I find the price a bit extreme.
and if Michelin has discontinued this model I would think that the ones on eBay, even if new, might not be recent. Check the date before.

I went for modern tyres and 215/65 R15, $500 for a set of four.

1 Like

I’ve used

Cooper cs5
General Altimax rt43

Both excellent tires and very affordable

Carl

Not as far as I know but I think they might have been as old as 2010 if I could make out the date code right.

Spare was a Pirelli p5, so probably factory. (scary but it held until I got home)

5 Uniroyals (which I’m told are rebadged late model Michelin’s) was only about $600 out the door. Car rides smoother with much less vibration now :+1:

It was one scary and fast change on the side of the expressway here in Chicago. Got it done and on my way in 5 min.

I recently went with BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport 215/70R15. $622.50 installed for a set of 5. I spent a considerable amount of time making this decision.

I couldn’t justify the extra money on the Michelin XWX, the Vredestein Sprint Classic, or Blockley. From what I remember, those are the three tires over T-speed rating and in they’re in a similar price range.

Wish I had a picture to share but I’m currently getting my brake booster rebuilt and my garage is a little cramped to get a good angle.

Edit: almost forgot, the XJC featured on Jay Leno’s Garage has XWXs

1 Like

A classic demonstration of tread separation.

I run Toyo Proxess SUV tyres to my full satisfaction…

Every few months Costco has a sale on Bridgestone 215/70/H15’s. I bought a set four years ago for my series 3 XJ6, ride quality is better than the Pirellis I’d used previously, fuel consumption improved, and a set of five tires mounted and balanced cost somewhere between 4 & 5 hundred dollars. I know they are only speed related H, but since I have no plans to drive over 109 miles per hour, they more than served their purpose.