New XK120 Chassis options?

Good evening all.

Im helping a friend rebuild a 1951 XK120 OTS and the chassis is rotten beyond repair.

What are my options on buying a new chassis?

A few years back im sure i seen a guy at the Jaguar spares day selling them and i think he was from Poland.

We did not get chance to attend the show today.

Cheers Lee From the UK

What country are you located in? We have readers in all corners of the globe.

Hi Mike.

I am located in Derbyshire UK.

How bad is bad? Can you weld? I rebuilt a pretty nasty one.
https://www.jag-lovers.com/models/xk/xk120140150-2/120-frame-repair-pictures-ted-uiterwyk-and-mike-spoelker/

Impressive work Mike!

Yes i can weld but the chassis has been sat in long grass on a farm for many years and is totally rotten beyond and sort of repair.

Cheers Lee

Check Republic, I think.
www.sk-jagspares.eu

No affiliation, I have never been there, but they might have a connection to Guy Broad?

Tadek

SC Parts of Crawley advertise a brand new one for £4040 but I’d be inclined first to speak to Coventry Auto Components.

I believe if you replace the chassis with a new one ex checkoslvakia Poland or mexico you really dont have full claim to original car.
The chassis are not made exactly as originals.
Original chassis can be rebuilt with some work and that what restoration is all about.
A good repair option is to use parts from 5 7-9 chassis as identical pressing correct steel and radius bends.

The worse case is an English company where you send them your chassis for repair but instead of repairing yours they grab one they had done earlier stamp your number on it and yours goes on the pile and is fixed later and someone else gets it!!!

The replica chassis are the source of all the forged cars turning up from alloy 120’s through to the jabekke car.

1 Like

MkV chassis has whole lot in common.

ANd those are just lying about, everywhere.

:wink:

It would be more correct or accurate to say that the Mark V chassis used many of the same little brackets and engine and suspension mounts and other welded on parts as XK120, though the cross bracing was totally different. The side rails might be cut up to use portions as repair sections to restore an original XK120 chassis with side rails half rusted away.

Another point to consider, is that in the classic car world, the chassis is considered the identity or “the car”, and everything else is “parts added on to the car”. Which means you want to go to extra effort to retain the original chassis number stamped on or near the brake master cylinder bracket on the left hand side. Otherwise it will be viewed as a corrupted car, a bitsa-dis-bitsa-dat and with significantly reduced value.

Not much for it, if that badly rotted.

Only thing the OP can do, is to slavishly document the whys of it, and the repair/rebuilding.

I am sure you are having a dig at me :smile:
But you are right they are not that common I guess in the USA.
And in the UK they will have rusted away
But here in OZ THERE are still a few laying about.
Terry

https://coventryautocomponents.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1765

3200 GBP… all in all, that’s not bad!

Hi Lee,
Bill Dengler started a company named Absolute Xks located in Waverly, NY. He works with a Polish company that supplies top notch product for XK’s, including frames. I have visited his shop and have seen the quality of the products, excellent forming and welding. I worked with him on a ongoing project and he supplied many individual parts of a 120 frame that someone had barbarized with the intention of making a Devin bodied racer. He made up the various parts that were missing and I was able to make a very nice frame, the basis of a car I am working on with my brother. I suggest that you contact him through his website and explore what he can do for you. No affiliation.

https://shop.absolutexks.com/XK120-Complete-Reproduction-Chassis-XK120-Chassis-Late.htm

1 Like

Here are his details , but he is hard to get hold of and not quick to reply .
sales@classic-jaguars.eu

Looks good from the pic. Not a bad price, either.

1 Like