Next Stupid Little Jag Project

I gave up on AAA, 15 years ago after having to wait for 6 hours for one of their contract drivers to arrive. Seems they pay very poorly and thus one waits as more profitable calls come in. Daughter’s water pump failed catastrophically and fan tore into the radiator on her ‘78 Pacer. Amazing those cars are going for pretty large coin these days.

1 Like

Perhaps AAA problems are regional in nature - I have always received prompt service when I needed them (AZ, NM & CA).

They now have an automated interface (Ursa) you have to start with but once you get past that she-bear and can talk to a live person things happen fast.

My first and only ride for this guy (excessive valve clatter):

And they were good enough to deliver my new purchase to my home for me:

Perhaps one difference is that those yellow trucks are ‘AAA Roadside Assistance’ - not a 3rd party.

2 Likes

Glad you have had good results, George. Having their own guys would certainly make a difference.

Did you find what was causing the noise? I don’t recall if you had.

I have a sticky valve. The top of the piston shows no damage but an intake valve sometimes sticks .005" short of fully closed. I can cause it to fully close with a sharp rap on the bucket with a wooden dowel.

Right now (hoping for a miracle in a bottle) I am treating it with some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas & oil.

I’ve used my AAA towing twice in the past two years; once on the E-type with a fuel problem 47 miles from home and once on the CLK when the belt tensioner broke 60 miles from home. Both times the driver was prompt, AAA called me with updates, the drivers were helpful, friendly and careful. These were AAA contractors, not AAA owned tow trucks.

I had the same positive experiences when I lived in Houston and needed a AAA tow.

You can also do a “flood” technique: with the delta off, engine good’n hot, take a squirt can of diesel, and white holding the engine up off idle, squirt some diesel into each carb throat (do this OUTSIDE!).

Let the engine recover, repeat for each carb.
Then, put a quart of diesel in the oil, and go take a good, hard run. Change oil/filter, and hopefully that’ll clear it up.

I have been a member of AAA since the mid 60s, have the extended 200 mile service. My experience had been positive until my “oil leak” trip. Broke down north of Las Vegas, 2 hour wait in 105 deg.F.
A couple of truckers and cars had stopped to see if I needed water and if I had a cell phone.
Highway Patrol just drove past me.
Glenn

“To serve and protect”… but only when it’s comfortable outside :scream:

1 Like

I don’t have AAA, but have roadside coverage through my insurance. Never used it, so can’t comment.

1 Like

Who else besides AAA and Hagerty offer a towing and roadside assistance program? Does anyone here have Hagerty Driver’s Club Roadside Assistance?

From what I can tell AAA looks to be less expensive with more services.

I think most insurance companies now offer roadside assistance riders. Some car makers offer it as well. I once had a dead battery in a 30 years old Mercedes. There was a number for Mercedes service on the glove box lid. Called it just to see. Truck showed up and I was on my way, no cost.

I have $200 limit tow and emergency per car with Corvette Museum/American Modern classic insurance. I switched from Hagerty, who also had roadside, because CM/AM was significantly less expensive and no more restrictive. Never had an issue with Hagerty, they were great, just more $$$$.

I think Michael is right that I can call MB roadside on any of my MBs regardless of age or insurance. Fortunately, I’ve never had to test it.

From Mercedes’ web site:

Eligibility & Restrictions

Any vehicle with a Mercedes-Benz Warranty (New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Extended Limited Warranty or Certified Pre-Owned Warranty) is eligible for complimentary Roadside Assistance. If you’re still wondering if you’re covered and what services are available, view our complete statement of eligibility and restrictions.

Roadside Assistance | Mercedes-Benz USA (mbusa.com)

FWIW - A friend’s E-Type broke down on one of our cruises more than 200 miles from home. He had both AAA and Hagerty and was able to combine the two for the tow home. Had to be dropped by one driver and picked up by another.

As a plus, while he waited for Part 2 he got to mingle with the late evening crowd at the Taco Bell in Globe, Arizona.

2 Likes

It sounds like it’s now restricted to cars under warranty. In the old days, roadside services attached to the car in perpetuity. This is the brochure from my 1987 W201:

It’s good marketing. If they rescue you and take you back to a “qualified and experienced” MB technician and repair facility (dealer) for repair, they more than make back the cost of the tow.

When the warranty is up bye bye…
Look at that picture from 1987
Refreshing , a service advisor with a collared shirt and no tattoos on his neck
Just look so clean…Porsche , Audi had the same service.
American cars…Oh well ,and they went into shock when 1989 Lexus made a car that needed NO service!
It changed the industry

If you took your American car to a dealer in the '80’s, you would get a “wall job”…take this car and park it over there against the wall. Dealer service at GM, Ford and Chrysler dealerships created the independent repair industry.

And I suspect folks who bought a car new when “forever” roadside assistance was part of the deal aren’t grandfathered either.

Used my Hagerty roadside assistance when my brake system started not fully releasing while driving back from a car show. I had turned into I 75 figuring I’d be able to limp back to my shop not realizing there had been a major accident about a mile up the road (check out the line of cars ahead). Flatbed driver managed to maneuver through all of that mess while the dispatcher kept me fully informed of his progress. Very high marks!