Nice Australian SS Jaguar Video

Can anyone point me to a higher quality version of this nice video?
http://www.jag-lovers.org/brochures/video/ssjag.rm

Thanks,

Peter

Peter

If it’s the video I remember it was always a very poor quality.
The car belonged to a friend of mine and we did a little e bit of work on it. I still have the original engine here
This was the days when matching numbers wasn’t thought much about. The car was sold and went through a number of owners, going to Singapore, then UK and recently at Zwakman Motors for sale.
It was a long time ago and may well have been the first of the wooden framed SS saloons to be completely rebuilt. John , the owner , was a woodwork instructor at a tech school so was well qualified to do a good job
He e is a pic taken recently in Holland of it A subsequent owner has put one of those gawd-awful Desmo mascots on it The car was repainted by DD but the colour here seems to have strayed into purple land, the wheels look to be still in the original colour.

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for the history and the photo. The little video in JagLovers is of terrible quality but I’m sure I remember a better version also being available many years ago.

Peter :thinking:

Peter

I just noticed that someoe has also installed completely inapproriate out side mirrors on it

Hi Ed,

I’ll resist the temptation to say that I’ve survived without them by just turning my head because I recently said that I’d never required to be rescued in the SS but very nearly did just a few weeks ago. 20 odd years ago I had fitted one of those in-line interference suppressors when I had a radio in the car. They are normally supposed to be something in the range 15 to 20k well mine had cracked up internally and was measuring 10s of megohms!

No wonder the car was difficult to start when i left it outside in the rain and mist until I cleaned the plug insulators last year.

Peter :thinking:

Peter

Yes I drove MK IVs as hire cars for ove r25 years without incident , or accident. But that did involve knowing freeway lanes and which one i needed to be in for turn offs many miles ahead. But as age made me a bit more creaky, I decided an outside mirror was good [[ and iwould say mandatory ifin a DHC and 2 of if in a LHD DhC , or a rear vision camera.] But i thought the old Raydot or Desmo mirrors as used on SS1s and SS100s were the correct period and suited the styling.
It works well but being mouted on the door one needs to be careful not to knock it out of adjustment but that’s somethingI can live with.

1 Like

Hi Ed,

Yes, if I were fitting one it would be the oval type like yours that I would go for.

Thanks,

Peter

Are there really only 10 surviving examples, worldwide, and, how in the HELL did Willy Lyons make any damned money at 385 pounds??

I think there are about 100 coach built Jaguar saloons known to exist world wide.

Peter

The number of most surviving SSs seems to shrink when one is advertised

1 Like

Somewhat like the 2,431 Auburn Speedsters my parents toted up, when folks would see theirs, and start off, “My Uncle Louis had one of those…”

My ‘rents, then me, would roll our eyes, and say…”2,432.”

(There were 125 made.)

Yes like when doing weddings in MK IVs no end of people would come up and tell me they had an "“SS100 Just like that” One gentleman confided that he had two , one he kept for spares, “Definitely SS100s”

To this day, I’ve some club members who keep asking how my SS100 is coming along.

I tell them the SS1 is coming along slowly. Their faces screw up and sometimes try correcting me when they hear SS1. I explain SS1’s were before the 100 and powered by a Flathead.

Many seem surprised of something before the SS100, some even think the SS100 was their first car!