Nice MKIV driving through South Australia

Not a Moss gearbox I think?

3 Likes

Hi Tim,

Why did you think it wasn’t a Moss box? I don’t think I counted a 5th gear. Here is my old pre-war Moss box which I think is less refined that the MkIV one. Synchromesh - YouTube

Peter

I believe I counted five gears as the car came onto the freeway, though I might be wrong (frequently am). None of the typical ‘Moss’’ gear ‘whirr’ especially in 1st. :grinning: Nevertheless, It’s a beautiful car.

This car has the ‘whirr’.

Tim

1 Like

Agreed! A very smooth running MkIV.

Peter :+1:

1 Like

I think I only count four cogs in it, snd what a gorgeous view over that long bonnet!

Nice country. Any idea who the driver is?
The shifts are at higher speeds than I am accustomed to. I thought I heard a shift at 9:24 and 9:46 so maybe it’s a 5 speed but I can’t be sure.
Certainly a lot quieter than 1st in any of my Moss box cars.

My '38 double helical box is louder than Peter’s, so loud in 2nd & 3rd that it would drown out the wind noise, no hope for a radio even if I had one.

I’ve ordered some Redline MTL gearbox oil, $68 for a gallon, and will give it a try to see if it makes any difference in the gear noise. It’s supposed to be equivalent to SAE 30.

2 Likes

I can guess, probably the owner of one of two BLACK 3-1/2 litre Saloons I am aware of in Adelaide in such top condition, and the gearbox suggests one specific car. The actual filming seems to have been done by Brenton Hobbs, who owns a really nice BLACK 1-1/2 litre…

Got to say, whoever is driving, is certainly 10/10 - perfect lane positioning throughout and very clean and smooth acceleration and braking - good to see there are still those with such skills even if not with its Moss gearbox…

1 Like

Here is another Brenton Hobbs clip in an SS Airline. Another quite gearbox. Maybe it’s the type of oil? Beautiful engine sound.

Those kind of drivers are really, really rare here too.

1 Like

One from the Netherlands for a comparison. Another beautiful car!

1 Like

That really is remarkably quiet! I think it must be an old Moss box because he appears to double de-clutch when slowing down at the start of the video.

Peter.

Hey, it’s Zwakman, I remember that name, I bought an XK120 part from him in the very early days of the internet, my first international purchase by credit card, the charge came through in guilders, much easier than the old days of having to send a money order in the snail mail. How the world has changed in 30 years.

It must be just at sunrise, long shadows, only 2 pedestrians, but I wouldn’t have the nerve to go that fast through a village, in my town there would be joggers and dog walkers out at sunrise.

After that video you are offered another of the SS100 coupe, mostly talking but at the very end there is a short drive with a hand held camera.

1 Like