No Brake on 1971 XJ6

Lou, from your responses my suggestion is to go with your inclination to flat bed to a repair facility.
Have them assess the situation and come back here with their suggestions.

Sort of horse and carriage, Lou; if the car is not running; you do not need brakes - and with no brakes the car should no be driven…:slight_smile:

As a minimum; pump the pedal to see if it ‘comes up’ - if it does not, it’s likely the master cylinder. As an aside; it would be prudent to start the engine - if you have a non-runner; the shop should look at more than the brakes…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

That depends on the level when new pads were fitted, David - it’s a bit academic in this case…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

It’s a bit academic

Robin: Given the nature of the issue; BRAKES, I think that’s a good idea. It would be a shame if the car did not start, but more serious if it did not stop.

Reagards
lou

1 Like

Thanks Jay.

Other than notching the bonnet, does it install easily?

Lou

yes, i thought it was an easy install. been a couple years since it was installed.

You need a pre-metric master and have to cut up a perfectly good bonnet, then it’s probably easy. If the master is metric you also need to redo the brake line fittings. I would just rebuild the existing one if that is required.

David and all:

The more I think of it, the more I feel that the best answer is to have a professional review the system and make any repairs or changes necessary.

Just for the book, I have not been active with my cars in the last three to four years.

During that time, I have retired from work, sold my business, bought a new home, moved from the city to the county.

At this point, I am just getting back to the Jaguars.

So the combination of not being active for several years, and more concerning is that fact that the brakes are something that must be operating correctly. It’s one thing if I can’t start the car, buy another thing completely if I cannot stop it.

The more I think about it the more I believe that this is an issue for
a professional, not an amateur like me.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I will stop in to see the gentleman who has been servicing my Jaguars for the last 8 or 10 years and see when he is able to take the car in and go through the systems.

I will advise when the car is off to the professional and what the results are.

Regards

Lou

1 Like

Lou:

Welcome back. Going to do sme more videos!!!

In my early days the brakes on my cars brdered non existant. \but, life was simpler//

I suggesat that you get the car to run befre it ges to mthe mechanic. he needs the enge runnng to check the vacum booster.

Not to try to convnce you against t the mechanic

teh resevoir is pictured. remove the cap fill it with bvraked fluid. Nw you need a helper You need a 3/8" wrench as I recall. Begin with the right rrear caliper. Heper pumps oce or twice and holds the dal down. You crack open the bleed screw and allow fluidm to come out. repeat til no air bubbles come out. Go to the eft rear reeat then right front, then, lastly, left front. Yu may nbow have a frm brake pedal if not, the odds are that the master cylinder is lekaing internaly.

Agree heartily. do not drive, sans brakse!!!

Altough. circa 60’s I drove from mid wilshore t San fernand valley in my 57 trck with no brakes. Teh manusl transmission made it feasibe. a great dea? Far from it!!

Carl

Carl:

Thanks for your response. I had forgotten about those early attempting so document the repairs on my Jaguar.

Frankly, I had forgotten about the video. Other than feeding my ego, I would imagine that they do assist novice Jaguar owners in a repair or maintenance. So if I do some work on one of the cars that might be enhanced it’s video, or if my ego needs a boost I will vive it a try. “My heart is alive the the with sound of exhaust backfires”.

Regards
Lou

Carl:

Good to hear from you.

Your suggestion to get the car running first is a good idea.

Regards
Lou

While I can not explain why. But for me neither circuit was working even though I had successfully bleed the front and the back was not cooperating since the line was clogged. Just a data point.

After I dropped the Rear end and redid brakes completely I was still getting nowhere because the connection to the new rubber line in the back was rusted shut. Took a while to figure this out.

Just food for thought