No crank issue solved

Folks

After eighteen months, two starters, a starter relay, and a new safety switch; the problem turned out to be dirty positive posts on the fire wall. I have run a new strap from one post to the other (heavy enough to carry starter current) and the problem has vanished. In addition to this I was about to have the alternator tested as there was at most 12.7 volts at the battery; with the new strap in place I see 13.7 with lights, AC and rear demister on. So two birds with the one stone…

Cheers
John

Good work John!! thank you for the post, it will be helpful for all of those of us who have similar issues!

Not sure if this is the right place for posting this but, I need help.

97 Jaguar XJ6, Runs amazingly, well, except for the fact that it isn’t starting…So I’ve done a LOT of looking and couldn’t really find anything that solves it, but I tried a TON.

Works: Dashboard lights, maplights, seats, radio, sunroof, power locks… and not sure what else…

Doesn’t Work: headlights, highbeams, starter(as in, doesn’t crank), dome lights(with that weird center button) windshield wipers, will not shift out of park.

Theories: some sort of disconnected wire I can’t find, some sort of security “feature”, a relay or someodd item that isn’t working which I can’t seem to find.

Searched all fuses, switched around all the relays to check for an outed one. Disconnected battery for over 12 hours, ensured battery was charged, tried the security reset thing(use key to lock and unlock the doors numerous times then letting it sit in run for 5-7 minutes), tried to trick the security by rolling down windows locking doors, and opening it, then sitting in and trying to start it. I cried for a bit but I don’t think it helped the car at all.

Kevin

Sorry I can’t help you but you’re asking on the wrong list. For a 1997 XJ, you want to ask this question on the X300 forum.

Good luck

David

As David says, Kevin - you need more expert help from the ‘modern’ list…

Don’t know the level of engine protection security built into the moderns - won’t crank and won’t change out of park may be computer generated prohibitions to prevent engine damage wi9th some system defects. Some perverse results of a computer failure, or ‘low coolant’ malfunction is sometimes enough…:slight_smile:

However, if you have an aftermarket security, antitheft, system fitted; if failed it may show similar symptoms - in which case; you need the installation manual to properly disable it…:slight_smile:

A possibility is bad ground connection from battery neg to body,. preventing high current flow required for starter and headlamps - and cleaning connection may restore function…

Or you may have more than one fault - which may explain the symptoms better…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Not sure if you got this issue resolved yet or not, but this is where I’d start. with a OBD Scan Tool

Do you have a scan tool? If not, get one. They’re relatively cheep, but will save a ton of time. I have an X308 (the next gen of your car, the X300). under the dash, drivers side (if LHD) there’s a OBD plug, pick up a ODB scanner, turn the ignition on, and the OBD should light up, then select read codes.
this will go through your ECM, and report back any codes found.

If there are any codes, then get back to me with them, and I’ll tell you what the codes mean.

Hope this helps.
Oh, and this isn’t the right forum, you’ll want to post in the X300 forum.

Cheers!
M

True!!!

The use of these is at the outter edge of my talents.

1. I’ve an older unit for OBD I. Well worth the 300 + bucks it coat me. Scans the LT1 in my Jaguar and reads off data nicely. But, as to diagnostics, it is left to us mere humans to use.

2. My daughter’s 2001 VW Passat has “conk out at times” . My friendly neighbor piped in his OBDII scanner !!! It threw off 9 codes. Most indicated that 5 of it’s 6 cylinders had misfired on occasion! And the other that the Cat was under performing
    Not a surprise if getting loaded with raw fuel from multiple cylinder misfires.

So, my plan is an ignition revamp. Coil pack, plug wires and spark plugs. And a cam cover gasket change while in there.

Oh, a fix of what I see as a design flaw! A parted two piece oil filler cap. Fails to seal and oil gets into places it should not be. Namely spark plug wells.

Fix, drive and rescan…

Carl
nes r dsatr i sataxks e , t se is at

I did move to the other forum, there are no codes.