No Crank, No Dashlights

Ok guys I really need some help. I did a search of the forum but I couldn’t find anything, maybe somebody else will know. We got my mum a 2004 XK8 convertible to replace her totalled 98. And its been fantastic, until now…

The car has sat for about 8 days and now will not start. It doesn’t crank or turn. I have no dashlights except for the airbag lights on either side of the dash. And the car will not come out of park. The car seems to have power, as I can lock and unlock it from the fob, use the fob to put the headlights on… the car has sat before without use as I was doing maintenance on it, but it started up fine afterwards… anybody have any ideas?

The very first thing to do is charge the battery overnight and ensure it holds a charge. Then try again.

My first thought is the battery. With all the electronics these cars have, a fading battery can produce puzzling symptoms.

When you turn the ignition on, is the red warning light on the shifter panel flashing?

Charge battery, HARD RESET, then maybe check for DTCs?

Hey,
If its been wet or cold in your area, charge or possible replace! This happened to us when we were cruising
north Vancouver Island during a three day rain. Got up in Nanaimo. BC that morning to attend the annual
“Brits on the Beach” event in Ladysmith, BC. We were still using original battery. Got new battery. No Worries!
Bob

Bob Allen
kabob@wavecable.com

Hey guys. Decided to try a brand new battery, and still no crank. But now, even with the key off and the car locked, I have the turn signal indicators, the high beam indicator and the gauge minimum lights on constant. It had me worried that maybe the computers in the engine bay got wet but they are bone dry.

Hi ,
Did you find a cure as mine is doing something very similar ?

Cheers,
Kevin.

Kevin, I haven’t really had a chance due to other things getting in the way. I did find that the braided groundstrap from by the starter to the frame rail was extremely corroded. So I’ve purchased a new one, just haven’t gotten it installed. Actually hoping to do that tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks Mike .

| 66Sprint200 Michael Zerishnek
December 22 |

• | - |

Kevin, I haven’t really had a chance due to other things getting in the way. I did find that the braided groundstrap from by the starter to the frame rail was extremely corroded. So I’ve purchased a new one, just haven’t gotten it installed. Actually hoping to do that tonight or tomorrow.

Ok, so I finally got around to replacing the very corroded original braided ground strap yesterday. Reconnected the battery (it’s been disconnected since it started acting up), and it fired right up. It was acting totally normal. Today I went to take it to the shops, just to give it a run, and same thing as the original problem with nothing coming on besides the airbag light. Disconnected the battery again and reconnected it, and it starts like nothings wrong. I’m really stumped and my poor mum is starting to feel really disheartened.

I would suggest load testing the battery to eliminate it as a source of the troubles.

Ok, disconnected the battery and reconnected it which gave me life again. I borrowed a scanner from a friend and it was showing me two codes, a U1147 and a U1900.

On X100 these DTCs may point to a fault in the Instrument Cluster.

But beware because all sorts of seemingly unrelated faults can cause strange DTCs EG low battery volts, faulty ignition switch, key code corrupted.
I had this random non- crank on my 97 convertible, In the end, I cured it by deleting the keys and starting the whole immobiliser & key reprogramming sequence but you need Jaguar WDS to do this.

Because of all the electronics in these cars, an old battery can cause a lot of unrelated problems. If the battery is old, or has sat for a long time, it might be wise to just replace it. These cars are built to be driven. Assumptions made in their design, are they will be run regularly.

Those DTCs could be from 5 minutes ago or 5 years ago!
I always READ, PRINT and CLEAR to get a fresh start on diagnosis.

Look for the DTCs that recur since the last CLEAR DTCs.

Hi There,
I recently had the same problem with my 2005 4,2 XK8
the car is put in security mode because the information from the key , which is sent to the computer in the instrument cluster is not accepted , and thus the car is put in security ( anti-theft) mode.
I purchased a S/H instrument cluster, and had it re-programmed by a garage with the original Jaguar diagnostic equipment, and after 5 months of trouble searching it was solved in 30 minutes.

Key element is to have a garage which has the original Jaguar equipment !

good luck for your mom’s car

Ok guys, here to post an update, in case anyone comes along in the future with the same problem. It’s been about two weeks since I messed with the car, and I do believe I’ve got it. :slight_smile: It hasn’t misbehaved since. I did multiple things at once so one or all of the below appear to have cured it.

I fully removed both fuse panels from the engine bay, cleaned the contacts where the battery cables connected (and cleaned the cable ends), and I replaced as many of the fuses as I had handy. The pins on the bottoms for the harnesses looked good. These were then reinstalled.

At the same time I removed the fuse panels I also reached up into the world of Narnia that is to be found behind the dash, and put hands on the key code module. I was able to unplug it (not able to pull whole module due to air duct), and pushed the plug so it was sticking out by the drivers side dash fuse panel. There was a little corrosion, so I cleaned the terminals, reached up in with a small brush and felt around the pins on the module, put a tiny dab of dielectric grease on the terminal pins and plugged it back in.

It’s been two weeks and so far everything has worked like a charm (other than the defroster, which has been throwing a motor code since the day we bought it). Even took it out on a trip to the parts store while I fixed my Volvo. :slight_smile: