No mild steel mufflers?

Can someone with experience listening to this muffler (c23869) tell me is it quieter than a Bell big bore ?
I have just purchased a 66 2+2 with the Bell, headers and all, ,it is loud on the highway. I am looking for any input here that would give me a relaxed sound.

Hi Ontarioglen.

Welcome to Jag-Lovers. I have those mufflers on my Series II FHC, the two seater, and they are pretty quiet with stock resonators in place.

Those mufflers were not designed for the 2+2. You want these:

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/FindParts/Families/E-Type%20~2F%20XKE/3/77/12629/1/10/1/viewassembly/19727/:EXHAUST%20SYSTEM%20&%20COMPONENTS

I can’t say how the mild steel compares to the Bell – but I would describe mine as more ‘throaty’ than ‘loud’. Fairly quiet in normal driving but offering a pleasing expression of power when I get on it.

1 Like

I just purchased a Jaguar Classic system thru SNG and love the sound compared to the SS Midas mufflers that were installed (everything else was mild steel). The system is a little louder/ deeper and “metallic”? Sounds good idling and good during a spirited drive without getting uncomfortable. However it required fiddling to properly install as the muffler exhaust stubs were not properly/evenly aligned.

We have a poet, amongst us!

:wink: