No start when turning key

Could this be something as simple as the neutral interlock switch?

Love the way we have to say “different in different cars.”
And the gearshift microswitch too, is a player. Good heavens:: a full day with a meter to wring this out. I
I think, too, I would try a jump start. Why?, more current to get through dodgy connections might tell a tale.

Ignition switch – that’s logical: maybe a little WD-40 to help displace crud?

My wiring diagram shows relay “152” - P I Relay - could be my problem but the Repair Operation Manual does not show location of this relay but it does show a Ignition Protection relay located under drivers side above the Main fuse box. Could these be the same relay?

I ran into a similar problem with my '89 XJ-S; solution was replacing the grounding strap between the engine and the frame(ish) rail.

Side note:
When I pick up a new clapped out POS Jaguar to give it a new lease on life; I always go over all of the connection (that are accessible without taking the interior apart) & points with contact cleaner; and check the grounding from the battery to the chassis & especially the grounding strap from the engine to the frame(ish) rail. I’ve cured several no starty conditions by replacing the frayed oil soaked grounding strap. My non-standard solution of going to the local welding supply store and cutting off about .3 meters or 12 inches of grounding wire along with a couple of lugs & heat-shrink for each end. What I like about the welding solution, is the wire is braded copper and very flexible; more importantly it’s shielded, which prevents or slows down the contaminants that lead to added resistance in the ground. Yet another example of using material as it wasn’t intended.

I’ve made myself crazier going down the inertial switch path, to more often than not, to discover this isn’t the issue. Unless the car’s been underwater or has a bad leak, the interior components are pretty well protected; and I typically don’t run into any issues of corrosion or no worky stuff except the usual which are the console switches for the windows and hood - aka top) contacts cooked.

Here’s another rabbit hole to go down, hope this helps.
Mark

I don’t think much of WD-40. The best solution for this ignition switch, IMHO, is to open it up – not terribly easy, but doable – and solder the rivets to the terminals on both the inside and the outside of the ceramic base plate. Then at a minimum “tin” the copper contacts. Better, if possible, might be to silver- or gold-plate them.

I have long recommended adding a ground strap to all XJ-S owners. There already is a strap down underneath that connects engine to subframe to chassis, but it’s common for ignorant mechs to either leave it disconnected or to reinstall it incorrectly so it connects subframe to subframe or some such nonsense. Problem is, it’s really hard to see if it’s connected properly. Hence the advice to add a strap somewhere it’s easy to check. One excellent spot is between power steering pump bracket and LH anti-sway bar mount.

1 Like

WD-40 as a lubricant? I don’t think much of it either. As a basic cleaner/crud remover, I think it does an adequate job.

I use WD40 as a pre-clean of built up grease prior to an engine clean. Works very well at removing / penetrating built up dirt and grease, then is easily removed with a foaming engine cleaner. Gunk brand I find works the best without leaving a nasty residue that’s hard to get off. The WD40 rust penetrant works very well - I think it works better than PB stink bomb - this stuff smell really bad, and the future ex complains on how it stinks up the garage. For what ever that’s worth.

Mark

Still trying to locate the relay that sends power to the main relay coil

Maybe this will help

And this

And this

and possibly this

Wire colors can also be helpful
wire%20colors

OH, and grounding points - I found this to be very useful.

Then there’s the butt connection and wiring junction points too.

I’ve been able to breath life back into many XJ’s armed with this information.

Hope this helps
Mark

Ver nice. Where did that diagram come from and do they have one for later mode 4.0L (AJ16)?

WES

WES,
Those are the typical pages from the S57 Electrical Guide showing the wiring and equipment location. I have hard copies of them for my XJ6s and 1990 XJ-S convertible. I have no idea if Jaguar produced the S57 Electrical Guides for the facelift cars. Others will have to chime in there. Perhaps they are in the CDs that Jaguar produced for the later cars?

Paul

The diagram is call S57 wiring Jaguar XJ and XJ-S. That I believe that covers until 88 or 89.

I do have the complete Service Manual 6 volume.

You can also get an online version via OTPUBS.COM. It does cover the AJ6 XJ’s

I hesitate to give them more business because I’m having an issue with their licensing, that I haven’t worked out yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

So what’s up? Get her started?

Waiting on a new starter relay. All indicators point to this relay. Hope this will do it