Noisy seatbelt unit

I would like to disable this bugger. Unfortunately I’m unable to get the tach to turn. I have the under scuttle removed for my turn signal problem, but can’t get my hands up in to unplug it. I tried removing the mounting nut, but there’s a bar in the way that prevents it from being removed.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Roger

Do you want to remove the tach? The two large instruments twist and pull out - bayonet style - direction depending on what side the driver sits. I think RHD is clockwise but not certain. The small instruments have a knurled nut that is very hard to move with the dash in place and I don’t know if removing the top would help access.
I have no buzzer - can’t you disable it at the wiring or seat belt? Like…

David

I have tried to twist the tach, anti-clockwise for LHD, but it won’t
budge.

I have also tried to remove the 'squarish plastic device with a speaker
grill. After removing the nut securing it I discovered there’s a
bar in the way that prevents it’s removal. I’ll check the wiring
diagram for the purple/white wire.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger,
I disconnected the seat belt warning buzzer from my three Series III saloons and also removed it from my three parts cars. I believe that the only way to remove it or at least remove the connector is through the tachometer opening. I do not believe it is possible to access the buzzer connector or remove it from below. I just checked my partially disassembled 1987 XJ6 parts car to make that determination.
It has always been a challenge for me to remove the tachometer or speedometer from these cars. They are held in place by a spring around the circumference of the instruments (shown in yellow) and metal post (circled in red) that lock the instruments into place as shown in the attached picture.
In order to remove these instruments from a LHD car you have to push in much harder than you think is reasonable while rotating the instrument counterclockwise. It is a challenge for me to do this because there is no way to get a grip on the instrument. But it I have always been able to do it with damaging the instruments or hurting myself. However, each time I have done this I always wonder why Jaguar made it so difficult.

Pauln.

As Paul says, Roger; push and twist harder - sweaty hands won’t do it…

Rubber kitchen gloves…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The gloved made all the difference. Great idea!

Got the bugger out!

Thanks,

Roger

Paul,

They’re like all car builders, the cars are only meant to be put together
once. lol

Roger

Instead of disabling the bugger I changed it’s function…

It will now buzz if the lights are left on and you open the driver’s door with the ignition off.
A very useful bugger !

Aristides

Now there’s an idea! Never thought of that. Did it require
much rewiring? What kind of relay did you use and where did you mount
it?

Roger

Aristides,

the more you reveal about your car, the more I’m inclined to think Jaguar would never have been sold to Ford if they had given you a car for customer-oriented improvements …

As much as I’m a friend of original setups, I endorse your enhancements. In this particular case I have every reason to do so: our Swiss neighbours have mandated use of headlights during daytime. You can imagine what happens if you take your Jaguar to Lake Zurich with the lights on and park it outside on a sunny afternoon in July …

Too bad I don’t have any buzzer in my car to begin with.

Thanks for that wonderful idea anyway

Jochen

75 XJ6L auto (UK spec)

1 Like

I imagine it is quite simple; the buzzer has power through the light switch or from the instrument lightning rheostat, and is grounded through the drivers side door switch. That way the buzzer only has power with both light on and door open. I don’t know how one accesses the door/courtesy light switch but it could also be routed through the interior light switch at a few locations and would turn on with any door open. I imagine the wiring meets under the dash or at the tunnel and Aristides used a diode so only the drivers door grounds its wire up to that meeting point.
I like it but never found any pleasant chime modules, does anyone know a good sounding one?
I also like Aristides‘ many surprises! Maybe you can incorporate a relay that shuts all the lights off when you pull the key? I think a normal relay wouldn’t take the current though. All you‘d need to access is the brown wire to the lighting switch and power it through the ignition, position 1…
I tend to forget switching the lights on in Switzerland but then again I also misremembered the speed limit to be 130.

Would a relay rated for higher current, like maybe a horn relay work?

Roger

Sure, something like a 75A relay would probably do. Of course this is another thing that can go wrong and sometimes you might want to leave the sidelights on. The buzzer is more elegant to me, as long as my default is headlights off.

Quite close David !

It was actually a two step set-up.
Step 1. I had installed an interior lights delay relay and as it had quite a long delay I wired it so it would turn Off when ever I turned the ignition On.
This was very simple, I took power from the existing Load Relay which has a 87a unused contact , i.e. it has power only when the ignition is Off.
Step 2. I powered the Buzzer from the Lights Switch and connected it’s ground through the Interior lights delay relay (it switches the ground).

The one and only improvement for our headlights would be to ad relays anyway… I did and yes, BIG difference, literally night and day !!.
In that case any 20A relay would do.

Aristides