Non Bronze Nuts on the Exhaust Manifold

List:

Further to our discussion of the need for bronze nuts on the exhaust manifold: in cleaning the double threaded studs used in the reinstallation of the exhaust manifold, I have three studs with nuts I cannot remove. Prior to our discussion on the need for bronze nuts, I assumed the nuts were rusted in place. After trying several means of convincing the nuts to loosen, it dawned on me that they are steel and not bronze. As my high school chemistry teacher, who was a Japanese native with sketchy english, would have said; “Function no work” They are welded in place.

Lou,
I have had good luck removing stuck steel nuts from steel studs by soaking them in Kroil for a few days and then try again to loosen. I am regularly amazed at how well Kroil loosens them up. If that doesn’t work I heat them up with a propane blow torch and whack them with a hammer. I get at least 9 out of ten nuts off that way even though at first I couldn’t get them to budge. But there are always those 1 out of 10 that never budge despite repeated applications of Kroil, heat, and whacking.

Paul

1 Like

Paul: Thank you for the suggestion. I have some Kroil but have not used it in a long time. I will soak idem dare nuts for a few days , give it the appropriate blessing, …(censored)…, and give it a try.

Regards
Lou

Easy: clamp the center of the stud in a vise, heat the nuts to cherry red, with any oxy-acetylene torch… and off they will come.

Even if you get them off, wouldn’t you rather reassemble with new studs and bronze nuts?