Non- overdrive Series One 4.2

Hi Folks,
According to the book Original Jaguar XJ, by Nigel Thorley, series1 4.2 XJ6’s fitted with manual transmission, had overdrive fitted as standard. Would anyone know how many 4.2 S1’s were supplied without the overdrive? Presumably these were lower cost models, perhaps fleet cars that also dispensed with other extra cost options. Maybe, as with the original Mk1 2.4, which was offered without tacho, bonnet mascot, screen washers, heater etc, very few were produced as the saving was scarcely worth the inconvenience. I had one such car (XJ not Mk1) here in NZ, but it was imported from Hong Kong. Also had cloth seats and manual windows, but, curiously, tinted glass and heated rear screen.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Being in the US any manual XJ6 is a rarity but I’ll tell you, I’ve scoured the internet looking for pics of manual transmission Series 1’s when I was collecting parts for my manual conversion (for clutch pedal positioning, trim, etc…) and I don’t think I’ve ever come across an image of a S1 XJ6 gear change knob without the overdrive switch in it.

Have no idea of the numbers but I’d bet they are pretty rare and as you said, were confined to fleet cars or the like.

~Mike
72 XJ6 (x2)
73 XJ6
85 XJ6
84 XJS

Thanks Mike. In all the years I have been following Jags, I too, have never seen or heard of one of these either, apart from the one I had. Never even seen a photo of one either. I have heaps of books on Jags and they are never specifically mentioned, only know of their existence by reading between the lines. Wonder whether it is worth buying an S1 and recreating it, as I believe the body is identical between auto and manual, unlike Mk2’s which had different size transmission tunnels. I have all the important parts, from flywheel to propshaft, so probably no big drama to do.
Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin,

looking at the original SI brochure (I think even available on Jag-Lovers) there is indeed a 4speed manual indicated both for 2.8 and 4.2 litre cars. While the 2.8 seemed a bit anaemic with the auto gearbox and was delivered stock with manual gearbox, cloth trim, no center cubby box, no power windows (except for the 2.8 De Luxe version marketed in Europe), the 4.2 must be extremely rare with 4 speed.

As a matter of experience, the XJ sedan completely changes character with a manual gearbox and a shorter diff. If you’ve got the parts and the time, go for a manual gear change and keep us posted!

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)