Normal or sloppy

I’m thinking about looking at this car. I’m awaiting more photos. Can someone explain what this is all about, please? Thank you

It just looks like an old gasket that could use replacing.

The choke cable sleeve appears to just be worn from rubbing against the bonnet. Maybe it’s longer than ideal, or it could use a clamp of some sort to hold it down.

1 Like

Thanks. I was hoping it was something like that.

As Erica says, those choke cable “trajectories” look rather high. This is more correct…

2 Likes

I may assume it’s not a matter of concern. Thank you

At some point it will wear through and need replacement. Not a big deal. It’s not like it will “short out” on the bonnet. At least I hope not.

1 Like

Not a concern for purchasing. I’d shorten the cable and/or replace it.

69 Coupe

Just a thought! I think the gasket was bad for a long time and the escaping steam/water rose up and screwed up the cable. Don’t know the paint condition, but I’d guess the bonnet needs a re-paint?? I’d look for a pic of the bonnet underside by the cable. But, yes, the length of the cable appears too long?

Mark

Choke cables aside the engine bay looks original and unmolested.

Mark,

That gasket won’t see any water/steam. It’s in the secondary manifold, and seals in the fuel/air mixture as it takes a U-turn on it’s tortuous path to the cylinder head. You may have a good point though. Maybe the mixture leaked out and caused a minor fire, and the flames burned and melted the plastic covering of the cable.

I thought that, too, but then again, what would I know about these things, especially what caused it.

It looks more abraded to me, likely from rubbing against the bottom edges of the louvers.

I agree. Abrasion. A burned cable would look completely different.

Yes, just too much cable. Compare it to mine:

Easy fix.

And now thst I look at that pic… it appears they have the tops on the ZS carbs mounted 180° out of position.

69 Coupe

David is right. I was thinking water for some reason!

Mark

pass on that car. buy a car that is sorted. possibly a 68 with triple su’s? that would be my budget choice.

Carlo, these cars are 50 years old or so. Chances are, unless you’re paying top dollar, it’s going to need a few things. That’s actually some of the enjoyment of ownership. So despite some others advice, I wouldn’t let some minor details like this put you off a particular car. Look for the high $$ items, #1 of which is rust. Then body/paint. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.

Not to say you shouldn’t enquire about things you see. You want to understand what you’re looking at.

5 Likes

Thanks, Bob-and you are right. I need to ask, even if seemingly elementary questions, so I know what I am seeing. I’m not looking for a #1 car (or necessarily a #2). I would like to get a decent driver, and okay if it comes with some minor “requirements”.

I’m looking to learn how to fish instead of being handed a fish dinner.
Carlo

5 Likes

I totally agree with you Bob. Repairing minor ills is quite rewarding and makes the car “yours”; it increases the sense and pride of ownership, if that makes sense.

1 Like