Not an E-Type Owner Yet, but lots of questions

Hi, all. New member to the forum. I have an older friend who is liquidating his extensive collection of exotics, most of which have been sitting quite a while. He has offered me a good deal on his ‘63 FHC, which has always kind of been my dream car. I’ve entered into negotiations with my comptroller/wife, who is reticent to say the least. :slight_smile:

Rust free, with a straight body and good interior. It’s been off the road for a while and he says it needs a new clutch, and as long as we’re at it, a rear seal. I’m an old car guy, with a ‘25 Dodge, ‘47 Merc and ‘63 Midget and what I would understand describe as average mechanical skills. I’ve replaced the clutch on the Midget, which required pulling the engine, but that obviously is a lot simpler and smaller. I’ve done some research and it looks like the engine comes out best from the bottom, the seal requires removal of the crank, and it generally seems pretty involved. I’ve got a mechanic friend and access to a lift. After typing all this, I’m really not even sure what I’m asking. I guess just wondering whether this is something manageable at home and needing encouragement to press forward.

Next question, what recommendations do you have for tires? Doesn’t have to be completely authentic, as this will be a driver.

(Btw, in case anyone wonders, my screen name is one I’ve used for 20 years and it has nothing to do with Jaguars, but rather my former career as a military lawyer. :wink: )

Scott,

Just forget it. It’s way too complicated, and you’ll probably just mess it up. I recommend that you give me the name and contact details of your “older friend” and I’ll put you out of your misery. Now, let me see, where shall I put this '63 FHC to hide it from my wife…:grinning:

Seriously though… Welcome to the forum. You’ll find lots of helpful people and good advice here (as well as some other stuff). If you read up on it first, and take it slowly, the clutch shouldn’t be too big a job - just time consuming as it’s an engine out job. As for the rear engine seal you have a number of options, and you will probably get conflicting advice. I have a leaking rear crank seal, and as it’s not so bad as to get oil on the clutch, I live with it. OIl is cheap… Search the archives - issues like the rear seal have been discussed many times, and weigh the pros and cons of the various options offered.

Good luck!
-David

1 Like

Most definitely doable for anyone with time to kill and space to work. Having a lift is icing. Ultimately it’s not essential. An experienced Jaguariste could R&R the engine in about 20 hours. Figure 30 for a first timer. Add more to do clean up detailing or other tasks. You don’t actually have to remove the crank to simply replace the seal. You just have to remove the pan and the seal housing. You can install a new original style rear rope seal this way.

To upgrade to a modern flap seal, you will have to remove the crank. Still not a huge deal, especially if the chain has previously been replaced with one with a master link. If it hasn’t then the chain will have to be cut, and replaced. The easiest/safest way to do that will be remove at least the timing cover if not also the head. It’s all totally doable.

2 Likes

Hah - from J.A.G. to Jag.

Not too long ago I was in a similar situation - 40 years of driving Triumphs meant I had done some similar tasks but getting an E-Type meant learning a lot of new stuff.

In the 5½ years since I got it I have touched almost everything on the car including R&R of the engine (for a clutch but lots more while it was out) and the IRS. I have encountered things that were different but nothing that couldn’t be handled by reading & wrenching.

The support here on J-L has been invaluable as the first time you do any task can be a slow learning process but when you get stuck on something there is always some help right here.

As for tires - I am running Vredesteins 185/15 Sprint Classic. Now on my 2nd set (also found a lot of time to drive in those few years) and am quite pleased with them. All the usuals have them, including Summit Racing and JEGs.

BTW - My wife really likes the car which is itself enough to make it all worthwhile.

2 Likes

Welcome Scott. You came to the right place for great people with lots of helpful information. I’ll echo what others have said about the work being doable. I bought my first E-Type in 2011 and it led to meeting many of the good folks here and learning everything I needed to do to make my car a solid driver. Where are you? You might want to put your location in your profile as this can be helpful. (Maybe after you have secured the purchase.) I’ll also say that a solid 63 E-Type is likely an excellent investment – barring the unforeseen. And David already has two Jaguars so is likely out of room for another while I have some space that would work perfectly. :wink:

–Drew

Scott, if it’s your dream car, go for it. With the cars you have, and average mechanical skills, I think you will enjoy the ownership and even repairing the car. I would suggest that you obtain a good owner’s manual, and the J30 parts catalogue. Those ,along with the support from this forum, will give you all the information you may need. I have my 62 FHC in a rebuild process, I have not encountered any thing on the car that is exotic in nature, repairs are well within the skills of anyone with some mechanical experience.

Any pics?

Thanks

Patrick '66 fhc

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Part of any new hobby venture is finding the friendliest, most helpful forum and this would seem to be it. I appreciate the encouragement.

I’m in NW Illinois. I’ve got dibs on the E-type, but if anyone is interested in a Mangusta, an Espada, or a Facel Vega, I can put you in touch. The Jag is one of the more run-of-the-mill vehicles in my friend’s fleet. :wink:

Sorry, no pics yet. It’s white(ish) with red interior. (My cause is not helped by the fact that my wife inexplicably detests red interiors; I can’t complain though because she’s pretty supportive of my addiction.)

Scott;
You have an excellent reason to change the interior, ‘Honey, I want to install a new interior as I know you detest red interiors’.
I just don’t see a problem here!

Regards, Joel.

1 Like

Scott, find an experienced person to closely inspect the car: it’s worth $100 to do so.

These cars rust from the inside out… ask @69Cat

2 Likes

A 63 FHC one of my favorites. Basically just a series 1 FHC.
You have come to the right place and as mentioned earlier, just pass on the POC information and I’ll take the FHC off your mind.
Mangusta or Facel Vega Hmmmmm :thinking:.
Unfortunately I don’t have the funds nor space for any more exotics.

Kinda: early ones, like Tweety, have slightly different shape rear hatches, taillight housings, and a different rear tranny mount.

There are a few other oddities.

If you manage to keep up with maintaining those 3 stablemates, then the E won’t really be a terra novum. There’s no real mystery to them - compared to other classics some jobs on the E take longer (and some, such as changing the windshield washer jets, take even longer).

Get it inspected by someone who knows the cars. Rust is the big issue, fitting a new clutch really isn’t all that big a deal.

1 Like

Shortly after discovering the intensity of the body work ahead of me, I decided a leisure trip to Russia for World Cup would help me forget my problems!!!

1 Like

Point taken. :grin: Any suggestions on how to find someone with the expertise to spot hidden rust problems? I can take my local body man, but don’t know for sure what to look for. He does a lot of work for a local Packard restorer, but those are a little more straightforward.

Thanks again for the advice.

-Scott

1 Like

Where are you located? Almost assuredlly, there’s a member within a few hours of you.

Paul-

I’m in NW Illinois, near Davenport IA, Moline, IL. About 75 miles NW of Peoria, and 160 miles W of Chicago.

-Scott

I’ll bet there is someone here, close enough to do the deed!

In a pinch, I’d be happy to: I work cheeeep, usually for frequent flyer miles…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And some Gatorade. :nerd_face:

Welcome Scott. I’m relatively new to this forum and I’m finding it to be a great resource. Lots of great info and nice people on here.

Tires…lots of opinions. Here’s a link you might want to look at.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/jaguar/e-type.html

These same guys also have a few YouTube videos on this topic.

I decided on the Cinturatos for my 1963 E-type OTS. I purchased from:

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/main.sc

Lots of choices, and even though my car is a driver and not a show car, I wanted a period correct tire. I had Cinturatos on my 1973 MGB back in the day and really liked them. I haven’t mounted the new tires to the Jag yet (many other little projects in work) but will get them mounted and balanced hopefully in the next few weeks.

If your favorite tire shop can’t handle balancing wire wheels, suggest you buy a balancing kit from Fosseway and let them use it on your wheels. Balancing wires without the proper kit is generally a waste of time and money IMHO.

Buy the car, get her some new shoes, and enjoy Jag E-type ownership!