Not Mine -- Found Jag 6-cyl Engine on Denver CL

68-69 XKE 4.2 litre according to engine number 7Rxxx… Fresh out of 30 years plus dry storage. Turns over with hand on flywheel, timing chain and cams move as well. Assume total rebuild necessary.

Cash only. Local pick up in Denver CO.

With the cut-outs in the cam covers at the center for the cross-over pipe my hunch is it might be later than '68. Mine has the cross-over pipe and cut-outs at the rear of the cam covers and I thought most '69’s had no cross-over at all.

David
68 E-type FHC

A couple of observations.

This is a long stud engine - the five frost plugs on the sides the dead giveaway - which means it’s not from a 1968 car, all of which were short stud engines and all of which had 7Exxxxx numbers. It may not even be from a 1969 S2 car, the first of which were fitted with short stud engines, though those early S2 short stud engines also had 7Rxxxx numbers. I stand to be corrected, but all 1968s and the 69s for the most part featured the crossover manifold located at the rear of the engine - this one’s intake manifold is consistent but the cam covers with the midships cutouts didn’t appear until 1970 after an interim period in which there was no crossover at all and when the cam covers featured no cutouts. The two setscrews at the front/top of the cam covers another later feature. The oil filter housing on this engine is for a spin on filter, yet another later innovation, and the dizzy has a vacuum advance that the '68 or '69 Federalized cars lacked.

1 Like

Judging by the carb return spring set up, the alternator bracket, the vacuum take off in the back of the intake manifold this is a late (EX/EM) 1970/71 engine. The oil cleaner bracket is typical for later SII engines.

Richard Liggitt

Agree with comments from several posters. All signs say it’s a 70/71 engine (not that there’s anything wrong with that…:grinning:)

Interesting detective work. I actually thought the price was pretty reasonable… anyone tried to buy an oil pan lately?

1 Like

I think it’s worth the price simply for the sump, crank rods and head.

Any one want an inspection, Ill be happy to do so.

2 Likes