Nylon fuel line options

Other than the usual, I’ve been looking for nylon fuel line. I know there has been lots of discussions on this, however product links aren’t working and not finding any for fuel. I did find this. It’s metric, but…

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=83906

Thoughts?

Or… This

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31823

You need to make sure it is designed for use with fuel, rather than just being hydraulic pipe which this stuff probably is.

I bought a roll of hydraulic pipe locally last year and I am finding that it is becoming brittle and cracking already.

That stuff is made for fuel, but I like the McMaster Carr idea better. Does anyone know how many feet I need to do the car? 20??

Tank to pump, pump to forward boot bulkhead. I would think 10’ would do it, but best to measure your old ones and play around with installing the ends before you cut it to length. I seem to have this problem, I cut it twice and it’s still too short…

Ten feet should be enough. Given the price I’d buy 15 feet, just in case. The stuff is light enough that the additional amount shouldn’t impact the shipping cost.

Me? I’d buy the 100 foot roll from the link you listed and make up fuel line kits and sell them at cost plus a buck or two to those here on J-L.

1 Like

Nylon fuel line from one of the usuals was standard imperial 3/8" od, 1/4" id and 1/16" wall thickness. Even with the hose heated and clamped, fitting the banjo was very tight as barbs are about 5/6" diameter and the nylon wanted to split. Found a local source with 3/8" od and 7mm id which is slightly larger and much better installation. Nylon 6 appears to be compatible with gasoline, and after 10 years is still leak free. Getting a little patinated, but leak free.

yep, me too. This stuff defies all logic! :grinning:

Tygon is what I always used.

I still have my original nylon. I thought it can be left alone if there is no problem. Am I correct??

Dennis 60 OTS

69 OTS ! not 60…

Tweety still had the 53-year old lines: they were fine.

If not leaking, cracked, or damaged… leave them be.

My 68 came to me with rubber hose lines, lots of patches, and plenty of hose clamps. I’m going with the 100 ft roll . I’ll let you know what I have left.

I’d respectfully disagree, and I think it is analogous to the tire life thread discussion. Nylon is considered gasoline resistant, not gasoline impervious. Immersion tests like the one below show that its properties do change over time, and even in just 1000 hours the change in mechanical properties is noticeable. Extrapolate the change in almost 88,000 hours (a ten year period).

Like the tire life discussion, the judge of condition isn’t what one sees on the outside with the naked eye - it is what is going on molecularly on the inside. Nylon or other gasoline rated hose is cheap, and easy to replace occasionally.

I’m with Paul on this one, my 69 has the original lines and I don’t plan to change them. Partly I suppose because I have not heard of failures attributed to age ( as opposed to tires where I have encountered many examples first hand).

They are very stiff of course so no point in trying to service them, if I ever have to work with them then I will replace.

I fit new semi rigid nylon lines in my restoration that I found at a flea market. It looked like the right stuff. Now my boot smells like gasoline after a number of days. Not sure it’s the fiber washers on all the banjo connections or the fuel line. So… as an experiment I just took a piece of the line and filled it with gasoline and plugged the ends. I marked the level at one end and have it vertical. We will see if the level drops over the next week. Unfortunately you can’t see the fuel level in the photo, but it’s at the mark at the moment. Stay tuned…

I for one will be really interested in your findings, Bill. I have a pervasive fuel smell in my OTS boot that I can’t isolate either. I’ve tried (temporarily) sealing up all the joint locations, sealing off the fuel pump, fuel tank opening plates, and filler neck area to see if any of these reduced the fuel smell, but no luck.

Pop the boot lid open after an overnight wait, smell is still there at the same level. The lines look pretty new - replaced ~10 years ago, and still white with no signs of yellowing. If the fuel is permeating the line, it would probably resolve my quest and I could fix the problem.

Dave

Tygon is stiff, when new!

My '67 Rover’s Tygon fuel line is original, and I NEVER saw an original Jag’s fuel line fail.

This being JL, Ill add that Im sure some have failed.

Dave, don’t know if you’ve checked the fuel sender, but I fought a fuel odor problem that turned out to be seepage around the electrical studs that pass through the flange. It was a slow leak and hard to spot, but it doesn’t take much to create a pretty strong smell.