(*O*)Heat shield hardware/questions/Setscrews needed(*O*)

I am finally getting ready to tackle getting the heat shields installed (with the engine an manifolds in place).

This will be really fun (sarcasm alert). @WoodBoatChick advised me HOW fun this was going to be, especially w/only one normally functioning arm. :rofl:

My question is: as I may be having this car judged at some point, and this is not an easy task, is this an item that they will deduct points for if non orig. setscrews are used here? This is not a project I want to tackle twice, so want to do it correctly the 1st time.

Below are the bolts I am in need of so if anyone has OEM willing to part with, please PM me and I will purchase them.

These are the items I am in need of:

(2) Setscrew - Hex head, 1/4"unf x 1 1/4", Bzp Finish
(1) Setscrew Hex Head - 1/4"unf x 3/4", Bzp Finish
(4) Setscrew - Hex head, 5/16"unf x 1", Bzp Finish
(4) Setscrew - Hex head, 5/16"unf x 7/8", Bzp Finish

If original bolts not required, I will get from local hardware store and call it good.

As always, thank you for your knowledge.

2 Likes

@Chuck-MM any chance you might have this hardware for sale?

The question I have, is if original bolts are required, are they sticklers that they BEES, or GKN? I have lots of GKN, but very few BEES.

1 Like

@Geoff said the same thing.

Hoping to get confirmation on someone in the know.

1958 S 1.5 OTS. Not sure if the hardware changed between the series. The 1.5 can be (as you well know) challenging to confirm small details like this.

@John_Walker might know?

1 Like

I would say that GKN is much more likely than Bees on a 1968, unless you really have a 1958 E-Typeā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

That is reassuring as @Wigglesmight have the hook up. :+1: :nerd_face:

:nut_and_bolt:

I was never marked off (that I know of) for having US capscrews on the heat shields. For fasteners, you just need to be sure of the correct type (hex, slotted, Phillips, Posidriv), and whether they are painted body color or plated.

That said, judging may very well now include fastener authenticity today.

1 Like

Itā€™s also going to depend on the judge Even if they are sticklers for the proper fastener they wonā€™t catch everything and those some of those fasteners are not in an ā€œin-your-faceā€ position.

One option is to rob a hidden area of the fasteners wth the ā€œproperā€ head markings and replace those with generic grade 5 fasteners. Use the good stuff where it can be seen.

2 Likes

That was our plan, but will be a hunt to find the above fasteners at varying sizes.

Perhaps you can easily recommend ā€œdonor locationsā€?

Thank you @John_Walker

You can reuse good condition bolts here as there is no great tension on them and provided the thread is okā€¦ā€¦on this year they are likely to be GKN ā€¦ā€¦ try dismantlers of jagsā€¦ā€¦ all the saloons had same bolts

1 Like

I quoted a few paragraphs from the Series 1.5 Judging Guide.
Hope I extracted the relevant passages"

UPPER HEAT SHIELD HOLDING BRAKE AND CLUTCH BOTTLES:

Zinc (galvanized) plated shield mounted to sub frame holding asbestos insulation on manifold side. Translucent white plastic bottles mounted to shield with cadmium-plated bracket. Brake bottles have gray rubber caps cantilevered over wires. Electrical connection concealed beneath cap. No wires on clutch bottle.

• Note: Chris Bron reports stainless steel - confirmation requested
  • Note: Brushed aluminum after market shields have been observed and are incorrect
  • Note: Air conditioned cars have pastel green ceramic resistor on semi-gloss black bracket with black oxide clips and semi gloss black AC dryer and bracket mounted to shield.
  • Note: Decal on heat shield above bottles (or above heater case) reads, ā€œWarning brake system is filled with Girling Crimson Brake Fluidā€¦ā€¦.ā€
1 Like

I see nothing there about what kind of bolts to bolt it all on with! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Craig!

Plus twenty.

Sorry, I do not have a kit for this particular job. Thank you for asking, though! - Chuck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not hard to make except for the asbestosšŸ˜±ā€¦ā€¦ I used ceramic sheet

Right! On this 68, one for certain has the asbestos sheet, appears original. The brake shield however seems to have aftermarket material of some kind.

Chuck the asbestos as you know not really good if it gets disturbed and the fibres are breathed in ā€¦ā€¦not a very good outcome for health

Real simple way to safeguard the asbestos: give it a good coat of water glass, itā€™ll be perfectly safe.

1 Like

??
Did auto-correct intervene and change fiber glass?
If not = ?

2 Likes