OBDII code reader - 1995/1996 AJ16

Can anyone recommend a code reader for a 1995/1996 AJ16 XJS please? I am looking for a stand alone unit that does not rely on a smart phone, laptop, etc. - something similar to an AUTEL tool (but Autel say they don’t offer one that reads the XJS). I have tried 2 Autels on the car and neither provide the full scan.

Preferably a tool available in the UK.

Thanks.

Frankie

That’s a very interesting question. There are two ways to answer this.

The easiest way is that any OBD2 reader can read the “P” codes on these cars, but you won’t get the codes for the Transmission and ABS.

Other than the formidable, and rare, PDU which can do everything, there’s the WDS, which can do everything BUT resetting the base idle adaptations.

After that, there’s the Genrad 500 or 510 handheld code reader, which can monitor points, as well as pull all of the codes. Unlike the WDS and PDU, it cannot reset a TPS, reorient oxygen sensors, etc. It is strictly a code reader and point monitor, which I think is what you’re looking for. It is also rare, but they do pop up from time to time.

After that, it get’s pricey. I am not sure whether the AUTEL or FOXWELL units read ABS and Transmission codes from our older cars. I’m sure if you do a forum search, you can find some owners, but will they be owners of the AJ16 engines?

Here is a list I’ve pulled from anther site. Hopefully this helps:

•AutoEnginuity, tested on 2003 XK8, 2000 XJ8, 2011 XJ, 2004 STR amd 2007 XKR (enhanced sensor/function availability, for an additional charge (issues with 1996 and older)
•TOPTQK, tested on 2000 XKR and 2003 S-typeR
•Innova 2030, tested on 2001 XK8 and 2004 XJ8
•Innova 3030, tested on 2001 S-Type, 2008 XKR and 1996 XJR6
•Innova 3100, tested on 2002 XK8 (My 3 year old INNOVA 3100 says ‘CAN compatible’ on the face, has the color coded LEDs and PC link reports)
•Innova 3100f, tested on 2006 XK8
•Innova 3120, tested on 1995 XJ12
•Innova 3130, tested on 2000 XJ8
•CodeKey, tested on 1995 XJ6, 1999 XK8
•Actron CP9035, tested on 2003 X-type
•Actron CP9175, tested on 2001 S-Type and 1996 XJR6
•Actron CP9180, tested on 2004 S-type
•Actron CP9185, tested on 2002 XKR
•Actron CP9575, tested on 1999 XJR
•Actron CP9580A, tested on 2004 XJR
•BAFX BAFX in conjunction with Torque for Android, tested on 2006 XKR
•OBDkey, tested on 2001 S-type and X350 XJR
•OBDCOM, tested on 1998 XJR, 2000 XK8, 2001 S-Type, 2003 S-type, 2005 S-Type R and 2009 XF
•CEN-TECH 94169, tested on 2007 XJ8
•CEN-TECH 98614-2VGA Scanner, tested on 2000 XK8 with real time data logging
•CanOBD2 3030, tested on 2002 X-type
carcode.com software based and cable unit, tested on 2001 XKR and 2003 S-type
•Craftsman 87702 (Innova 3100g), tested on 2005 XK8 and XJ8
•ELM327 bluetooth or hardwired version, with Torque app (for Android), tested on 1998 XJR, 2003 XJ8 and 2005 XJ8,
•Kiwi PLX bluetooth, with Torque app (for Android), tested on 2003 S-Type R
•Memoscan U480, tested on 1999 XJR and 2006 S-type
•ProScan under www.myscantool.com, tested successfully on 1996 XJR6, 2003 XJ8, and 2001 S-Type

Thanks Veekay for that very comprehensive reply.

I would settle for a code reader only. My AUTEL 702 communicates with the car and says “no codes stored” which is clearly incorrect because:- my local workshops AUTEL communicates with the car AND reads transmission and ABS codes, but cannot access the engine codes.

According to AUTEL the design of the OBDII in the '95/'96 XJS was in a state of transition from Jaguars own system to the universal OBD system, and it seems some cars may have left the factory with only partly compatible OBD systems.

I will work through the list you have given and see where that leads me!

Frankie

I have not found anyone with a 95 that has any more/less trouble reading codes than the 96. It might be half baked and reluctant to throw codes, but they’re all consistent in that fact.

I also know that the way fuel trims were recorded and calculated in a 95 is different from a 96, but they are both readable by the same devices.

I will say it will be harder to find a unit that reads the Jaguar transmission and ABS codes, but apparently some can do it? I would start at the Innova 3120, since it has apparently been tested on an XJ12! That one would have been harder to pull codes on, since I’m not convinced it was ever OBD2 compatible.

I will add that some manufacturers don’t really know what works and what doesn’t. I’ve reached out to some int he past and they’ve claimed it will read it, when it won’t, and others that claim it won’t (because the car is not listed on their vehicle list, such as the Innova 3120), but in fact it does!

Please share what you learn.

I’m not strong in the field of electronics, so please bear with me.

The sites I am looking at offer scanners for “OBDII compliant” vehicles. Guidance re compliance refers to date of manufacture, typically 1996 (pre '96 = OBD1 and post '96 = OBDII but with exceptions). First question - Is my XJS OBDII compliant?

I have the 16pin terminal under the dash, but can find no emissions labelling stating “OBD compliant” in the engine bay or door shuts etc. AFAIK the 16 pin socket by itself is not proof of OBD compliance.

The car had its PDI on 23 February 1996 (so was likely built late 1995). Further this is a UK destination vehicle i.e. not necessarily intended for sale abroad where emissions controls were more rigorous.

When I plug in the AUTEL reader I select "OBDII/EOBD (“Jaguar” is not listed) and the software initiates the linking programme settling on “ISO 9141-2”. I am offered “Control Module $51” or “Control Module $18”. 18 seems to be not supported so I select 51. I select “vehicle data” and get the readout “not supported”. I select “Read Codes” and get “no codes stored”. Does the fact that the OBDII reader communicates with the car in this way confirm that the vehicle is OBDII compliant? Knowing the answer to that then opens up the possibility of a range of scanners.

BTW, I have as yet been unable to find any PDU WDS or Genrad scanners for sale.

Frankie

When you have connected a scanner have you tried to force a code by disabling one of the less important sensors?

1 Like

I know that the scanner I am using is not reading stored codes because one or both O2 sensors failed the MOT emissions test recently and the scanner did not pick up on that sensor failure. What I don’t know is whether the scanner is not programmed to do its job on the XJS or whether the cars diagnostic system is not OBDII compliant. Hence my question - how can you tell if a particular vehicle has OBDII compliant software?

Frankie

One way would be to take it down to Advance Auto / Auto Zone, or some shop that reads codes for free and see what they say.

Another way would be to take a known device that works on a 96 XJS and see if it works on your 95. In this case, I have used a cheap u480 device on all my cars, including this one, without an issue.

Yes, I saw this unit advertised on line. The UK site says of the U480:-

This scanner is the one that covers ALL the protocols on OBD2 Including the new CAN standard ( not work for Van )

_Legislation was passed in Europe and in the USA so that vehicles had to be supplied conforming to the OBD2/EOBD standard. As follows- _
•Petrol cars in Europe made for sale on or after January 2001
_•Diesel Cars in Europe made for sale 2004 onwards _
•Petrol cars in the USA made for sale 1996 onwards

Please check and confirm your vehicle is OBD2 Compliant, before buying this scanner.

The wording seems clear enough to me - it will work with 1996 USA models but not with 1996 UK spec models - and the vehicle must be OBDII compliant.

Frankie

UK, USA, CAN, JAPAN, Middle East, Jaguar did not add OBD2 to the USA market but not for others. It would cost them more to have released an OBD2 AJ16 ECU and a non-OBD2 AJ16 ECU.

That doesn’t make sense. Any OBD II reader should work. When I had my '95 coupe I think I used a cheapo basic version that was sold in WM. for like less than $40.

OK. I tried 5 different OBD II scanners and none read the codes or accessed all the systems. This morning I took the car to a local independent with a dedicated Jaguar scanner (Autologic) which read all the codes and displayed the live data. We cleared all (there were several) existing codes so now the system is clear and ready to record any new faults.

He confirmed that the UK 1995/1996 models are not OBD II compliant and need Jaguar specific scanning software.

I’m now working through the possible causes of the rough idle - but that’s another story!

Frankie

Can you share with me, specifically which OBD2 readers were used, at least one or two?

Can you also tell me what the last six digits of your VIN are?

This is the first I’m hearing of this, and would love to dig in a bit.

Thanks.

Hi Veekay

Three of the units that would not read the codes/all the codes are:- AUTEL EU702; AUTEL Maxidas 708; icarsofti930

My Vin ends in 225675.

I would be very interested to know what you find out.

Cheers.

Frankie

Hi Frankie. I bought a U480 Scanner that will read/clear 95 Jag 4li XJS codes. It reads OBDII, EOBDII. It comes with a booklet which identifies DTC code definitions. The scanner looks like a kid’s toy but it works fine. It diagnosed my catalytic failure and O2 sensor malfunction. You can buy it on Amazon for around $17.00 ~Hope this helps!

WM sells a basic “generic” one that just reads (and clears) codes. They make a more advanced one that actually does scanning for a few $$ more.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I have since got myself an X308 and went for the Vident iLink400 specifically programmed for Jaguar Landrover. Gives comprehensive coverage of most/all X300 systems and OBDII coverage of the XJS. Still getting used to it but pleased so far - seems to “do what it says on the tin”.

frankie

btw, one of my friends bought one of those “Micro Mechanic” gizmos advertised on T.V. the other day, and is going to use it to diagnose whatever is wrong with a friend of mine’s 2000 S-Type. Curious to find out how well it works, esp. on her Jag. Will report back here when I do.