Odd E Type for sale

There is an e type on e bay at the moment that I can’t explain. It appears to have a V12 engine and box, plus front frames, mated to a S1 fhc tub with both S1 and 2 rear lights, and it’s auto on a sub body. Item number 283448591591. Can anyone shed any light

the seller states a Heritage Certificate, but that’s not to say that it’s a numbers matching.
A very odd car indeed, but seems to be nicely executed. Apart from the door cards, that is.

BW auto into a swb tub, that’s going to be tight. I thought the V12 frames were wider apart than the 6’s.

Looks more like a 2+2 tub to me. I think it’s a series three with a rear end tail job.

I can’t tell, I think the description of it being a Series 1, 2 and 3 pretty well covers it though. A lot of work went into that…
Cheers,
LLynn

Bodywork and paint are horrible! Zoom in on the first couple of photos, especially the one showing the antenna hole in the lower-left corner. Looks like it was sprayed with salt water, then sand, right before painting…

CLEARLY a S3 tub.

Regards,
Ray L.

Its clearly a bitsa car. That the supposed JHT calls it a S1 car implies it was “borrowed”. Can’t fit a V12 in S1 or S2 subframes and clearly has an S3 bonnet. Interior looks mostly like an S2 fhc, note that it doesn’t have the little knobs to adjust the heater vents like all 2+2 cars have. Doors do not appear to be long wheelbase but the rear has been messed with. No telling what this thing is. I recognize the seller ID, so not a scam but he always operates in the dark not providing much info on his cars.
pauls

1 Like

Yeah, I think Paul is right - a S1 tub, with S3 flares (badly) welded on. That’s also consistent with the comment in the ad that the S2 rear lights are easily removable.

They must have grafted the S3 frames onto the S1 tub. Scary… I notice in the first photo there is an odd bit of structure - looks like a large box section - under the floor just behind the rear edge of the bonnet.

Regards,
Ray L.

Run, Jimmy, ruuuuun!!!

What a fright pig.

1 Like

Jay Leno has a similar car that XKs built, better execution though. It’s just a S1 tub with S3 front end and drive train.

But… it’s a *steal at 30 large!!!

:roll_eyes:

More telling, compare the length vs. height of the door glass.

I think if you just compare a side photo with a known S1/2 fhc it will become obvious its not a 2+2. I would do it but alas in my advanced years I’ve got a dr. appointment in 15 minutes :frowning:-(
pauls

2 Likes

It is not a 2+2… best as I can see.

It is a mongrel.

It’s one of those VERY RARE Series 2.5s…:grinning:

2 Likes

Wait: is this like the train platform in Harry Potter?

:yum:

Ray, I think that structure is in fact the S3 torsion bar bracket. On a S3 the bracket bolts through the floor pan both sides. Hats off for ingenuity but why?

I still think it’s a series 3. I’ll bet it was built for big guy. Look where the seats are. Way back from stock.
Or at least a series 1 2+2 roof line looks wrong for a short door coupe.

Look at the wheelbase, as compared to the diameter of a wheel. Look at the length of the door, as compared to the length of the door handle. Look at the roof line, and the windshield rake. It is a coupe. It cannot be a S3.

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like

I just measured the length of the door glass and quarter glass on my FHC. The door glass is about 2 inches shorter than the quarterlight glass; 20" vs 22". By contrast I measured a 2+2 door glass I have; it’s 30 inches long, almostv 50% longer than the quarterlight glass. This is a FHC