Odometer not working

my odometer is not working although the speedometer works fine.
Having dismantled the speedo head and examined the works there is a small arm that moves on an eccentric which serves to engage with the ratchet wheel on the end of the spindle that drives the number wheels. My arm appears to not be engaging with the ratchet wheel.

Can anyone suggest a remedy for this to reinstate the action. See pictures attached . I trust they assist. !
IMG_1996|666x500

Offhand, it does not appear that the ratchet wheel is slid all the way onto its shaft. Can it be slid farther in?

It certainly appears there is a misalignment issue between the two parts. I am just a bit reluctant to start pushing things around and causing damage. Curious to find out from someone experienced with one of these as to the dos and don’ts.

What year and model Jaguar did you remove this speedometer from?

Paul

It is a '69 SI.
By way of further developments. I have discovered that the shaft that holds the ratchet gear which needs to engage with the little arm has in fact worked its way loose and starting to work its way out of the main body. A gentle push on the shaft which carries the ratchet wheel results in everything in alignment once again. Testing shows the trip-meter and odometer now both functioning. The issue is: What is meant to retain the shaft in situ to prevent it working its way out again? Examination inside the speedo casing revealed no loose parts floating around. A small circlip to clamp over the shaft would do the trick. Not having anything like that i have improvised by putting a 1/8" ID O-ring over the end of the shaft accompanied by a dob of silicon to stick the O ring to the shaft. This should hopefully prevent the shaft from working its way out again.

From what I understand from the photos, the shaft rotates together with the ratchet wheel?
You might not want to add extra friction in there with the o-ring.
Maybe add a metal washer between the o-ring and the bracket?
And epoxy would be more secure than silicone.

Great repair though and thanks for sharing.

The assembly seems to be spring-loaded by that three-legged copper thingy. If you feel your glued O-ring is secure enough, fine, but with this tension trying to pull it apart I’d want to be sure.

I think we can presume there was supposed to be something where you put that O-ring. If it was a metal circlip, it’d still be there. I’m thinking a plastic clip of some sort that decided that after 50 years it had had enough and cracked in two and fell off. It probably looked like little more than dust when you opened it up.

Aristides,I will bear in mind your suggestions should the o ring and silicone solution not work .
Cheers, Fred

Picture shows a white ‘C’ clip (?) on the axle, Fred - what about a similar one, missing, at the other end…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)