Off Topic. Landrover info needed

My son in law has acquired a series 3 landrover and before running it we would like to change fluids etc. It is a running driving vehicle but has not been run for 2 years. Was previously used by a dealership for snow clearing. If anyone has experience with these vehicles I would love to have some info on recommended fluids and common things to check while it is up on the lift. I am looking for a good series Landrover forum so if anyone knows of one please let me know.

I assume there’s a Series 3 Register for which you could do a search, and there’s also Landyzone which I’ve always found quite helpful. I’m in the Series 1 Register which has a brilliant collective knowledge, just like here I guess, and as far as I know you don’t have to be a member to go on the forum.

1 Like

Thanks Anthony. I will try that.

definitely join a forum

there are almost always threads with such titles as “common problems with XXX model”

you can also “introduce” your vehicle and get well meaning advice

That is my plan. I am quite stoked about this. If I had not gone the e type route a series landrover would have been my next choice. I am really looking forward to getting this one on the road.

Yeah, they’re very similar - hard to choose !

HaHa. I know. I have always had to look twice to be sure which was which :slight_smile:

The Series 3 Landrover Factory manual is or was available somewhere as a free online download, as I have it stored in my “Online Manual download” Folder

had a S2, and nearly got a S3 V8, but it had rust in the frame rails

Thanks for the info. I was able to find the free download.

Thanks Ian. The haynes manual is on my list of things to buy

I have had 3 in the past , one was a S11 on a short Rang rover chassis , in the UK spares are so cheap , unlike the Jaguars
:grin:

As well as being a Jaguar person I also own 4 Land Rovers and have owned a Series 3.

Still got the Jag but not this particular Series 3 LR

I suggest you join https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

It is an Australian Land Rover Forum, but is also probably the largest and most active LR forum in the world - they cover everything LR and have a dedicated series 3 section https://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-iii/

You will find what you need there.

Garry

Which fluids are you asking about?
Thankfully it’s one of the easiest to service.
I changed my oil w 20w50, and changed differential and gearbox and swivel hub oil on the front. All very easy!

Good to know. Did you use regular 90 weight in the gearbox, differential and hubs? Are the jerry cans in the front there to remind you not to follow too close?:grinning::grinning:

Geoff,
EP 80/90 use same oil in the steering box, differential, and the hubs!
The Jerry cans I added are for looks as I don’t dare drive around Florida w them. The drivers are crazy!

1 Like

Seems like they’ed give you a bit more space if you had them mounted front and rear?
Cheers,
LLynn :wink:

James: What color is that Land Rover?

It started life as marine blue. But one day I artificially weathered it by creating my own patina. I used vinegar and a combination of different rust colored acrylic paints to blend it. Keep in mind the body panels are aluminum so it wasn’t as easy.

James
C’mon…the whole V12 is aluminium!!! This exterior panelling should be a “walk in the park” for you!! How about a full camouflage finish…so effective you can find it in an outdoor setting!!!

1 Like