Oh, The Joys of Modern Cars

Just regular bolt bolts. Nothing special. The guy had done a brake job, and clearly had forgotten to properly tighten them.

Regards,
Ray L.

Foxwell NT-510/NT-520. The only scanner I’m aware of with downloadable OEM-specific software for most OEMs. About $175 most places, with your choice of any one OEM module. Additional ones can be bought for ~$70 each, and you can have any/all of them on the device at one time. It does not support ALL the functionality of the real OEM scanners, but so far I’ve found nothing really critical missing, and it gives you access to virtually every computer on the whole car. I bought it ~3 years ago when replacing the transmission on my E46 required resetting a transmission error. Buying the Foxwell was cheaper than taking the car to a shop and paying them to reset the fault.

The other, much more frequently used ODB tool I have is a $15 VPeak Bluetooth ODB adaptor, and the $5 OBDFusion Android app on my phone. I keep one of the VPeak adaptors in every car. That allows me to monitor, and even capture to log files, all the important engine parameters while I drive, in addition to reading/clearing fault codes and a whole raft of other stuff. A must-have for doing your own maintenance and repairs on any modern car. For 98% of all work on our two BMWs, OBDFusion is all I need. For the other 2%, I use the Foxwell.

Regards,
Ray L.

Another meaning to the term, “floating caliper” !!!

Back to the days of solid rubber tires???

carl

I use Carly on my BMW.
BMW outsmarted themselves with their smart battery system. The previous owner had put in a smallish wet cell battery. The car would not keep it above about 60% charge. One of the trips to the dealer for a recall on something else, reflashed the software and then the battery would take a full charge. But by this time the battery was shot, so I replaced it with a large AGM. Problem solved. I know the car had gone through multiple batteries with previous owners and it was BMWs fault Because of a bug in the software…

Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner OBD II Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android & Windows, Check Engine Light Code Reader, Supports Torque Pro, OBD Fusion, DashCommand, Car Scanner App

doesn’t support Apple I phone or Apple Mac. :frowning:

Seems to work fine if you play by their rules, which means ALWAYS tell the car the type, and capacity of the battery, or it will not charge properly. I’m sure they are not the only ones doing this by now…

Regards,
Ray L.

Yup did that, even tried different types, was measuring voltage at the battery. There was a software bug.

Here is my old car AC story. Back in 1998 I had one of those one- size- fits -all under dash AC systems installed in my '74 Vega. I love that it has a sight glass. About 10 years ago it started to show a few bubbles in the sight glass so I added about half a can 134a and so far that is all in 22 years. Still not showing any bubbles and it still cools great in Houston traffic.

Only problem at all I have had with it is about 7 years ago the plastic case started to get brittle and fall apart. I went back to the place that installed it and they found the same under -dash back in a dusty corner. It is basically a two piece clam shell plastic case so I was able to split open and remove the broken case and put the new one around the original evaporator without disconnecting any of the freon lines. Back in '98 if you bet me brittle plastic would be my only problem instead of leaks, compressor or expansion valve problems I would not have taken the bet. I hope I have not just jinxed myself.

… works on my i8…?

Ray,
You might try the A/C leak stop. In general I don’t believe in adding voodoo magic sauce to stop leaks. A few years ago the A/C went out on an out of state rental property that I owned. For a lot of money the A/C guy said he could add leak stop and recharge the system one time. Or for an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money he could try to find the leak, try to fix it, evacuate the system, and recharge it, and no guarantees. I took the cheaper route and it worked fine for a few years until I sold the property. I had a leak problem on my 12 Jag XK. Two years in a row, at the beginning of the season, it was low on refrigerant. The second year I put in a can of Walmart’s finest leak stop. This is my third year and it is still blowing cold with no recharges.

Dave Christensen
'65 E Type OTS
'12 XK Convertible
'13 XJ
Tucson, AZ - You don’t have to shovel sunshine!

I tried it in my Hyundai, which had gotten a small leak in the condenser, and damned if it didn’t work!

I have an '07 Z4 E86 coupe that I have owned since June of 2008. It has never been my daily driver, so I virtually never, maybe twice, have driven it in the rain. One Saturday morning I tried to use the wipers to clear the dew from the windscreen. Nothing. But if I used the windscreen washer, the wipers cycled normally, so it could not have been the wiper motor. I took it to the independent mechanic who has serviced my German cars since 1985. Couldn’t figure it out. “It should work. Take it to the BMW dealer.” My experience has been that if these guys could not fix something, it was highly unlikely the prospects at the dealer were better. So, since I almost never drove it in the rain anyway, I just ignored it. I would try it every once in a while - nada. 5 years later… My daily drivers since 1997 have been Benz SUV’s. Since 2014, the gear selector has been a stalk on the right side of the steering column. I got used to flicking the stalk to get underway. On the BMW that same motion operates the wipers. One day, after 5 years of dead, I started the BMW and habitually flicked the stalk in the Benz fashion. The wipers cycled. And they have worked ever since.

just going by the add copy says no work on iOS or MAC.

Of course, you are a person of consequence and have an I8 while those of us in the lower socio economic ranks run with second hand I6’s

When I bought mine, I asked and they sent one to suit the iPhone.

Or i3s :frowning:
(Speaking of BMWs…)

I knew about the compressors, but never considered how nice that actually is!

Hi Guys,
I have been fortunate to have owned quite a few classic and vintage cars over the last forty years or so.
I bought my first new car in my late 50’s. Not a big deal but a brand new SLK. The most boring car I ever owned. Nothing would go wrong and in any case it was under warranty and far to complicated to work on myself. I sold it about 5 years later at around 30,000 km and swore never to buy a new or modern car again.
Cheers and take care
Chris
Cape Town

Different end of the spectrum: having suffered the greasy slings and difficult-to-repair arrows of about a gazillion old cars, to have my DD be ‘the most boring car ever’ is a dream!

I found it in my '10 Hyundai Accent: pretty boring, handles well, rarely needs anything but fuel and PMs.

Love it!

Hi Paul,
Yep, ‘boring’ was obviously tong in cheek. However, I have had much more fun driving and owning old SL’s,
E Types, 911’s and even a MGB and vintage cars.
My wife has a VW California with the popup camper roof, which is also her driver. I must confess, although big, for only the two of us, it is a very nice when the kids come home as well as an all round vehicle for us.
Have a great weekend.
Chris

1 Like