Oil consumption per miles driven

Haven’t’ checked the oil for several weeks and took today as that opportunity and found the engine to be two quarts low which is surprising as it only has 11,000 miles on her. We took her to the car wash and completely pressure cleaned any oil and road gunge so I will check for leaks down the road. We did take a journey two weeks ago at very high altitude, moderate rpm and the temperature was on the 90C hash mark. Car was spluttering with the damn ethanol and altitude sickness.

Car is purring like a kitten now on 20-50 and a mini jar of ZDDP (zinc additive).

I run 10-40 in the winter months with no problems.

That may have contributed to the oil consumption??

What miles per liter/quart are you guys obtaining.

p.s. Check your oil and water levels frequently as that was in many cases the demise of many Jaguars back in the day.

Gerard

Water and oil should be checked before each driving day !
Not sure a pressure wash is a good idea , oil around engine and bay , stops rust , your replacing a anti rust with water !!

Hi Gerard, I change oil annually and don’t top up - based on what comes out - I use about a litre in a year for 1500 miles. I use Penrite 20W60 all year as our winters aren’t very cold. Paul

These engine´s will always use oil…
You should not compare these with modern engine´s.
Even 1l every 1000Km seems quite normal.
Supprised that you did not ran out of oil after 11.000 Miles.

Regards,
Peter Jan

Oh I have changed the oil numerous times over all these years, I didn’t wait for 11,000 miles like we used to do in the 1970’s with the old Chevrolet and Fords:sunglasses::racing_car:

Colorado is VERY dry and rust is not a problem here. They don’t use salt on the roads, but something called Magnesium Chloride which is nasty enough to make some peoples tires brittle and then break when they hit our notorious potholes. My Buick has serious discoloration on the wheels from Mag Chloride. Colorado does not use basic sand as it was causing a brown cloud of pollution and breaking numerous windshields. It’s always something!

I wait for dry winter roads that are almost white to drive in winter time rather than in the slushy muck.
MY oil still comes out almost new looking and challenging to see on the dip stick. I should go with one of the high performance “green colored” oils to easily make readings off of the dipstick
Gerard